General discussion

Windows 2008 vs 2010

Hi Everybody,

I represent an accounting firm and I'm trying to figure out what the big differences are between the Windows 2008 and the newest version before deciding whether to upgrade the operating systems on our office computers.

Is it really worth paying extra money and upgrading. Can somebody please give me some tips. Thanks ahead of time!

Irrelevant company name removed by moderator.

Post was last edited on November 15, 2015 7:36 AM PST

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Windows 2008 vs 2010
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows 2008 vs 2010
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: Windows

There is no Windows 2008 and no Windows 2010, so that's easy answer: impossible. But if you happen to mean Windows 8 (or 8.1) and Windows 10, yes, that's possible. And it's free (unless you use the Enterprise version), so there is no reason to spend money for it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features tells the Microsoft view. And there are a few zillion other hits in google if you go and search for it.
But are you really telling me that none of your staff did the upgrade already on their home computers? If some did, they might be able to give you their opinion. Most people think 10 is better than 8.

Kees

Post was last edited on November 15, 2015 7:37 AM PST

- Collapse -
Main thing is expiration dates.

Windows 8.1 is supported until 2023, 10 support has no end of support; MS says it's the last version of Windows with future enhancements to come. 10 has Edge browser and Cortana search which have no value to me. 10 has a new Start button which is nicer than what's in 8.1 although you can install the free Classic Shell and have it look like 7 if desired. In my experience performance is about the same. The MS FAQ is here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq .
Bear in mind that if you want to take advantage of the free upgrade, you have until 7/31/16. After that it's no longer free.
``
Good luck.

- Collapse -
Well for the consumer the upgrade is

free from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. The biggest difference is going forward 3rd party software will be more compatible with Windows 10 and Microsoft will be providing longer support for WIndows 10. But the ultimate decision is yours as the biggest negative with the upgrade is getting the proper drivers from the OEM. Windows 10 is a free ungrade until July 2016.

CNET Forums