HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows 2000 updates / security patches

by roeville / September 15, 2008 7:20 PM PDT

I have some questions about Windows 2000, security patches, and windows update.

Does Microsoft still issue security patches for Windows 2000?

I remember reading some time ago that they had stopped producing updates except for those that fixed security problems. But have they stopped issuing security patches aswell now?

I need to install W2K Professional from scratch, and I have the SP4 and rollup 1 files, but there are other security patches on Microsoft's site since then. Does Windows update still work for W2K - i.e. can I just enable windows update and it will download and install all of the available patches itself?

Finally, if windows update DOES still work for W2K, how can I locate the downloaded patch files so that I can use them to produce a slipstream installation CD - this would allow me to install a completely up-to-date W2K from CD whenever I need.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 2000 updates / security patches
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 2000 updates / security patches
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In short yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2008 8:39 PM PDT

You ask the same question in different forms a few times. So I'm going to write yes except to "
Finally, if windows update DOES still work for W2K, how can I locate the downloaded patch files so that I can use them to produce a slipstream installation CD - this would allow me to install a completely up-to-date W2K from CD whenever I need."

For that you get them all and put them on the CD. I'm going to tell you that you could do research on what patches there are with google. I'm not going to do your research for you.
Bob

Collapse -
Where are the patch files stored on the local PC
by roeville / September 15, 2008 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: In short yes.

Thanks. One of my questions was "But have they stopped issuing security patches aswell now?" - I presume you do mean that Microsoft DO still produce security patches for W2K?

Has a date been announced when Microsoft will stop producing security patches for W2K?

I know where to download the patches from, but I meant that if I allowed Windows Update to download these automatically, and then I could find where it stores the downloaded patch files on the local PC, then I could simply get a copy of all of these files directly from my local PC (instead of having to manually download each patch file).

So the question is, does W2K keep a copy of patch files downloaded by Windows Update, and if so where are they located on the hard drive?

Collapse -
They're not there in usable form.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2008 10:02 PM PDT

If you research this on google you find the KB123456 numbers and then you collect those then research each one to determine how to install each in some script. All this is something you must do if you are to make this happen.

There is no one place for this since your goal isn't widely sought or rather not enough people think its needed so they don't bother. Also the patches are easy enough to get with Windows Update and rather than spend a few weeks collecting them and making the install script you could be using the machine.

Also all your work could be invalidated on the next Windows Update and then you have weeks of work again.

Is your goal to create a lot of work for yourself?
Bob

Collapse -
Autopatcher
by roeville / September 15, 2008 10:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
Didn't Microsoft kill that?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2008 10:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Autopatcher
Collapse -
Still alive
by roeville / September 16, 2008 2:29 AM PDT

It seems that it is still alive. The latest update on their site is for August 2008.

Also the wikipedia entry for autopatcher says:

"Shortly after the project was shut down, Kaladis decided to resume production of AutoPatcher. To work around Microsoft's cease and desist notices AutoPatcher is now distributed using a program that downloads the updates directly from Microsoft's servers to create the AutoPatcher package on the client's machine instead of all being downloaded as a complete package."

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.