Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows 2000 updates

New upgrade from win98 to win2k comes with problems
MS lists 42 critical updates, 7 win2k updates, and 3 driver updates. NONE of them can be installed. Even, when I tried installing only one at a time, and even after disabling zone alarm, every download attempt fails.

Followup thought. Can I retrieve those updates from my other computer?? Thank you. Chuck

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows 2000 updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows 2000 updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A lesson repeated.

In reply to: windows 2000 updates

You may be learning an old lesson about clean install versus upgrading the OS. This is an old lesson.

There is also some other issue here. I didn't see any mention of service packs and drivers. These are not automatic.

Bob

Collapse -
Service packs

In reply to: A lesson repeated.

Microsoft version 5.00.2195 service pack 4. Similar upgrade last year on my other computer has upgraded ok.
I started by formatting my C-drive and learned that I had to install win9x before I could upgrade, so I installed only enough of win98, not the sound, video, or other drivers, to let me install win2k.

Collapse -
I didn't do that.

In reply to: Service packs

"started by formatting my C-drive and learned that I had to install win9x before I could upgrade, so I installed only enough of win98, not the sound, video, or other drivers, to let me install win2k."

I am able to, with my Upgrade Windows 2000 CD to start with no partitions. Formatting with DOS is starting off on the wrong foot. Then when the Upgrade 2000 CD installer asks, I show it my Windows 98 CD and continue.

I'd start over.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Will do thanks

In reply to: I didn't do that.

Collapse -
Results

In reply to: windows 2000 updates

Bob, for your information and for anyone else reading this post, microsoft is awfully long on error messages but obismaly short on telling what to do to correct. I continued getting "No files downloaded" All file downloads failed, until, I checked my other computer for similar results. Couldn't tell much there as all upgrades were done, but I looked into the download history. Then went to MS and requested a download of KB842773. It was only then that MS indicated that downloads are only for legal copies of their OSs. Going through certification let me download that KB file, and install it. With that done, I went back to Windows Update and have completed all the updates. Moral, here is if your copy is legal, get it certified, otherwise, don't bother with help, downloads, or other things..

Collapse -
The number of not so legal OSes and call for help...

In reply to: Results

Are increasing in these forums. Most are "gimmes" as the poster starts off with "my buddy installed _____, but I have no CD."

The messages are indeed not forthcoming and without them I can't dissect what the issue is either.

Best of continued luck,

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.