Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows 2000 password

On another computer I have a password on my screensaver and a password on my computer for when it restarts. I have windows 2000. Today my screensaver came on and when I went back on the computer and typed in my password it said that I didn't type in the right password. So I did it a few more times and it still didn't work. I've been trying ever since. I checked to make sure that I don't have on caps lock and I don't. I was wondering if there's something that maybe I can type in just so I can get in to change the password or something.
Any help is welcomed

Thanks.
Erica

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 2000 password
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 2000 password
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Windows 2000 password

In reply to: Windows 2000 password

What you don't want to read, but I must write is that you may have to power off the machine or press that reset button.

If you can log back in, then head to the display properties and hopefully you haven't been infected with a recent worm/virus/pest/malware that changed the password.

If there was a "backdoor", this would be fixed immediately since such a feature would be a security risk.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Windows 2000 password

In reply to: Re:Windows 2000 password

Well, I restarted the system and I can't log back in. I can't log in as administrator either. Well, all I have is administrator, I don't have any other log in names. Also, where does this virus you speak of come from?

Thanks,
Erica

Collapse -
Look at Michael's post. About those accounts.

In reply to: Re:Re:Windows 2000 password

A common discussion is about Accounts in NT/2000/XP since a danger exists to many that they try to reduce the number of accounts to 1 or don't have a spare Admin capable account. The danger is that some simple malware can change the account you are logged in as, and without a spare admin account, you get locked out.

www.lostpassword.com has a (pay) program to get back in if you were unlucky to run with a spare account.

A KNOPPIX CD is handy to access the files you can't lose and back them up. Read http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm

As to whether its a virus, worm or simple malware may never be known, but if you use IE, I'll share a simple link that I can embed in a web link can hold javascript code that can have deleterious effects. I'll share just one line for discussion.

file:javascript:while (true) {window.open("muhaha","file:javascript:while (true)alert'Dr.Evil'","width=600,height=135");}

Why IE allows such code execution in a start run box or an IE URL is beyond my comprehension, but because of this, my advice is to keep the browser at 6.0 and greater and use another browser to avoid being an easy target.

You'll keep an account spare to make repairs easy.

At least there is no sign you've lost files, just logon access.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob, a handy link to pass around...

In reply to: Look at Michael's post. About those accounts.

with Knoppix suggestions is http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

Helps those who know nothing but the MS Windows world get around and working in Knoppix.

I saved the page in MSIE and added it (and the graphics directory) to the Knoppix ISO so it becomes a clickable link on the initial screen when Knoppix boots for the CDs I have passed on to others (being inherently lazy, it saves me from a lot of "OK, I got it booted but what do I do now?" phone calls).

Collapse -
Re:Bob, a handy link to pass around... NICE! PLEASE....

In reply to: Bob, a handy link to pass around...

Collapse -
Re:Windows 2000 password

In reply to: Windows 2000 password

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!