Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows 2000 loses Internet access (TCP/IP) upon restart

by golfindude / February 13, 2006 3:50 PM PST

I am working on a Windows 2000 machine that would not access the Internet. Using directions from Microsoft, we unininstalled the TCP/IP, and even went into the registry and deleted winsock and winsock2 keys per MS Knowledge Base instructions. Upon reinstalling TCP/IP, Internet access works immediately and will continue to work until the computer is restarted for any reason, in which case it stops. Repeating the uninstall procedure will get it to working again, but again loses on any shutdown/restart.

Other things we have done and misc. information

*checked msconfig for start up lists (clean)
*scanned for viruses and spyware (clean)
*ran winsockfix
*noticed that when right clicking on LAN connection icon in system tray that the Status option is not listed
*going into Network settings and right clicking or going to properties does not bring up Status option either, so it never shows current IP or Gateway information.
*Going to a command prompt and running ipconfig will give the information though

In summary, after reinstalling TCP/IP it works fine, but with a restart it is lost again until you reinstall TCP/IP.

Could there be a service that is not starting that we are missing, or do you think a Windows repair might possibly help? (we have not done a repair yet because it is a multi-OS, multi-hard drive setup and we were afraid of issues with the repair so are trying exhaust all other options first)

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 2000 loses Internet access (TCP/IP) upon restart
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 2000 loses Internet access (TCP/IP) upon restart
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Last time I saw that...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2006 8:41 PM PST

It was driver related. Many still are learning that Microsoft does not supply drivers and the Driver Update button is untrustworthy.

There is also possible items of pests, failed hardware as well as the issue of drivers.

Bob

Collapse -
Drivers
by golfindude / February 13, 2006 11:02 PM PST

We did do both a virus and spyware scan and came out clean, so I don't think pests is an issue.

By drivers I am assuming you mean netword card drivers. Although we did uninstall the network card from Device Manager, upon restart it just automatically reinstalled itself using drivers that it found, we did not have to provide any. It is a 3-Com OfficeConnect (3CSOHO100-TX).

Possibly we can download new drivers from 3-Com and install those and see what happens. NIC seems to work just fine until restart.

We will try this and see what happens. Any other ideas that anyone has are much appreciated in case this does not work.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Not what I meant.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2006 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: Drivers

I mean BIOS and motherboard drivers.

It's something that many are still learning. You were not specific about your scans. Try EWIDO and Housecall.

Bob

Collapse -
Gotcha...
by golfindude / February 14, 2006 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: Not what I meant.

on the BIOS and motherboard drivers, will see what we can do.

We did try Housecall, nothing big found, and it did not resolve the issue. Will look into EWIDO.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Other ideas
by golfindude / February 19, 2006 6:06 AM PST
In reply to: Gotcha...

So far nothing and we are still in the same situation that we were in. If a anyone has any other thoughts or ideas, they would be much appreciated.

Again, we are trying avoid a repair or format/reinstall due to the unusual setup of this machine and a dual-OS scenario as well.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Still fixed this one too many times.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2006 10:51 AM PST

Microsoft first level support knows the tcpip entry tricks but rarely tells you about drivers.

Too many are in the dark about drivers. They hit the "Update Driver" button and think it's fine. The truth is that nothing has changed about Microsoft's driver check.

In your case, you did not share exact driver details so I wonder if you missed it.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?