Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WINDOWS 200 SERVER UPGRADE WITH 5 CLIENT ACCESS LICS.

by er_paez47 / January 30, 2007 2:22 AM PST

i needed to buy a new server, in order to replace the one is failing (running winnt 4.0 spk6), so i got a new one and i also have a brand new never open Win NT 4.0 server with 5 CLIENT ACCESS LICS. AND a new ugrade Windows 2000 Server with 5 client access licenses both of them new never used before so they are still legal, what i did was install win nt 4.0 and then upgrade it with the windows 2000 server upgrade version since this is just 5 client Lics so the only problem i have is that i need more than 5 to be able to connect to this new server, i need to know what do i have to do to increase the client access to allow more than 5 users to access the server and a multiuser application on this server do i need to buy some kind of cd to install more clients ? , by the way this server is acting as a storage server, i have not setup the server as a file server using the wizard i just simple shared a folder where the multiuser aplication is located and mapped the workstation to that \\server\sharename and also added users on this server thr the Manage and under local users i added 5 users with password but since i know this is only for 5 clients i need to know what else do i need to buy to install more client access and be able to add more users thr the Manage and local users, i need 23 users capables to access this application on this server simultanously(sorry i don't know how to spell it), can you please give me suggestions of what else i need to buy and install to increase the lics, so 23 users can access the server and the application ?
Thanks
Ernesto
ps: maybe this was not the right way to install the os windows 2000 server upgrade but it is working and i just need 23 users to access this server and the application resinding into the shared folder.
Excuse my ignorance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WINDOWS 200 SERVER UPGRADE WITH 5 CLIENT ACCESS LICS.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WINDOWS 200 SERVER UPGRADE WITH 5 CLIENT ACCESS LICS.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From memory...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2007 3:20 AM PST

The client licenses are not additive. That is, you have 5 NT licenses and 5 "upgrade" licenses giving you just 5 licenses. All this at first may sound confusing but you may need to put aside your goal of avoiding license costs if you want this to work properly.

But one wonders if you could have used a Linux server in this case.

Bob

Collapse -
I did not know if the application will work on Linux
by er_paez47 / January 30, 2007 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: From memory...

Bob,
Thanks for getting back to me but i don;t know if this old SBT PRO 5.0I will work under Linux, it is very difficult to find support for this discontinued aplication and will need still to use it, besides, the new server has already a mirror 1, all the drivers installed for windows 2000, plus the expensive we incurred on the windows 2000 server upgrade, then i need to buy Linux and try to learn the basic in order to setup the server , i know i have to work but i am under pressure to deply this asap, the major work is done, i just need to know What was needed to add more users under windows 2000 server
Thanks

Collapse -
I'll write yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2007 5:19 AM PST

Here's why. SBT doesn't run on said server. It runs on the client machines and has "files and programs" on the server. How do I know this? I'm a Clipperhead. Remember Clipper?

Bob

Collapse -
Yeah i Remember it cause i used to do some programming on it
by er_paez47 / January 30, 2007 5:35 AM PST
In reply to: I'll write yes.

But sbt was done in foxpro actualy visual foxpro, anyway can be accessed by dbase or Clipper, but the Sbt sbtw.exe and the rest of tables and index file aplication should resides on a server folder then a shortcut can be done on each workstation but it runs from there all you need is to have the run time libraries from visua foxpro on widwos\system or system32.
Thanks you still remember the old stuff.
Ernesto

Collapse -
You know th e answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2007 5:37 AM PST

The files reside on the server. They don't run on the server.

Too bad you didn't setup a Linux server and save big bucks.

Bob

Collapse -
"just need to know What was needed to add more users under..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2007 5:20 AM PST

More licenses. Cha-ching.

Collapse -
Adding Client Licenses
by Edward ODaniel / January 30, 2007 6:41 AM PST

these pages might be what you need.

First read this to see about volume licensing (please read whole linked page):
http://www.microsoft.com/canada/smallbiz/themes/use-safe-software/save-money-on-your-software.mspx

For example, Microsoft has a licensing program for small businesses that allows you to qualify for volume discounts when purchasing as few as five licenses. In fact, the purchase of one copy of Windows Server 2003 or Windows Small Business Server 2003 qualifies you for volume discounts because each automatically includes five client access licenses.

Then on this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/default.mspx

Now, scroll down to "Existing Volume License Customer" and click the link "Learn more about Client Access Licenses"
and you will want to also look at the "Buy or Renew your Volume Licenses" and a couple other links.

Any quietions or anything you are not sure of after doing the reading, you can get the specific answers you need from one of the linked "Authorized Resellers" or by calling (800) 426-9400 in the United States or (877) 568-2495 in Canada.

"Free" Linux and Samba might be all that is needed but depending on personnel, training, business priorities, time constraints, and a host of other factors "Free" can be quite expensive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?