Alert

Windows 10 Version 1809 Re-released Today

A quick check of the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool shows version 1809 installation media being downloadable as of today.

See the link below for Microsoft's information about the re-release.:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history

More information about the new rollout:

Resuming the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/11/13/resuming-the-rollout-of-the-windows-10-october-2018-update/

Microsoft recommends that users wait until the feature update is released to your computer automatically. Yep, might be a good idea... unless you want to test a few machines....again...

Hope this helps.

Grif

Post was last edited on November 13, 2018 2:11 PM PST

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Windows 10 Version 1809 Re-released Today
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows 10 Version 1809 Re-released Today
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You have to love....

Those Windows Insider users that yelped and yelped. I had one and the discussion about what the Insider program was didn't make them happy.

Your advice is spot one. "Wait for it."

---> On another note, this update is required for those that want to finally take advantage of the Nvidia 2080 Ti video cards.

- Collapse -
I Guess I Was Lucky... Three Win10 V1809 Machines Here...

..and I updated/upgraded them when the 1809 version came out in October. So far, no real issues and I ran today's Patch Tuesday updates on them and things were fine also.. Here's hoping it stays that way...

Grif

- Collapse -
In their case I think Bitlocker was involved AND no backups.

Well, very outdated backup copy. Since it was working for so long they grew complacent and then disaster. Their story is what it is. I don't want to dispute it but the lesson is there.

"We only lose what we don't backup."

- Collapse -
34 Yrs Of Government Document Storage Taught Me That Lesson

Some of those documents simply COULD NOT be lost or there would be chaos. So we constructed backup procedures for everything.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Microsoft Has Already Noted a Few "Known Issues"...

Click on the link below and scroll to the "Current status of Windows, version 1809, Windows Server 2019, and Windows Server, version 1809" section in the middle of the page.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history

You'll see a known issue (Mapped drives problem) and newly created "Upgrade Blocks" for older AMD graphics cards and Trend Micro conflicts. This may, or may not affect a lot of folks but clearly, the update is still a work in progress.

Hope this helps.

Griof

- Collapse -
For what it's worth...

...a blog post by Susan Bradley recommended holding off as long as possible for the time being. She'll likely update when she's checked it out further.

I'll probably go some time this weekend, on my family support machine - it's image copied but I could afford to rebuild from scratch if need be.

- Collapse -
Useful for me

Thanks to sharing the link.

Embedded commercial link removed by moderator

Post was last edited on November 25, 2018 11:49 AM PST

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks for sharing it!

- Collapse -
Automatic release

I followed the suggestions from your site to turn off automatic updating of Windows 10. How can I know, with that setting when the "feature update is released to your computer automatically". It can't happen with my setting turned "off", right?

This really has me confused. I am 76, and I am doing my best here to protect my only computer...Toshiba laptop.

Sounds like I need to get a USB drive and load everything on there as back-up. Is there an easier way to know when to allow automatic updates safely?

Thank so much.

- Collapse -
Here's what I do at office and home.
- Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks for the information about windows new version

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thank you so much for sharing great information. Happy