Alert

Windows 10 October 2018 Update Released Today

A quick check of the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool shows Microsoft has released the latest update/upgrade of the Windows 10 operating system.

Windows 10 October 2018 Update will be available to all Windows 10 users today, and to update you’ll simply have to check for the new updates on Windows Update. Otherwise, Microsoft will start pushing this to existing machines next week with its monthly Patch Tuesday.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/2/17921988/microsoft-windows-10-october-2018-update-release-date-download

If you're interested, the link below will give you instructions on how to get the update:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/10/02/how-to-get-the-windows-10-october-2018-update/

At this point in time, I'm in the process of downloading the ISO from the Media Creation Tool and will be trying it on a couple of test machines. I'll let you know how it goes here..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Post was last edited on October 2, 2018 4:35 PM PDT

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows 10 October 2018 Update Released Today
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows 10 October 2018 Update Released Today
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Thanks Grif.

Good to get the info you post here.
Dafydd.

- Collapse -
First Test Machine Info After Installing Win10 October 2018

On this first machine which is a basic desktop, I used the Media Creation Tool ISO that I downloaded and then burned the image to a DVD disk. Because this particular computer has had issues with installs before, I removed all USB devices, (including the USB mouse and keyboard and went with the PS2 versions of such) and I unplugged from the internet temporarily. The install went fine and took about an hour or so. The resulting version (typing "winver" at the search window) shows Windows 10 Version 1809 Build number 17763.1. Attempting to find any further updates immediately after the install brought only a Windows Defender definition update.

After the install, I also ran "chkdsk /f /r /x" because I've had success with it correcting minor file issues after Windows 10 installs.

One important note: Although I haven't checked all settings at this time, much like the last major update/upgrade, the System Protection/System Restore was disabled/turned OFF after the install on this computer. I had to re-enable it to get it to function. It's something everyone should check.

I've also run a few basic programs and so far, so good. I'll let you know if I find any other issues. And tomorrow, I'll install the new update on my test laptop.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Post was last edited on October 3, 2018 8:38 AM PDT

- Collapse -
The new phone App wants to install Microsoft Launcher...

I wanted to connect my Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus with the new phone app in the latest Win 10 update. However, when I click on the link it sent to my phone, it wants to install Microsoft Launcher. Is there a way to install the app without having to install Microsoft Launcher? If possible I don't want to load my new Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus with a lot of unnecessary stuff.

- Collapse -
I Believe Microsoft Launcher IS An Integral Part Of The App

Although I believe it's possible to uninstall Launcher after it is installed, if you do so, the phone won't sync-up correctly. My belief is that Launcher IS the app. Maybe others have a method to do what you want.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Microsoft Launcher

Thanks Grif. I think I'll bite the bullet and give it a try.

- Collapse -
Installed but phone does not show as being installed

I installed the app and it said my phone was successfully linked to my computer but it's not. I rebooted my computer and my phone but the phone still does not show up as being linked. I checked Microsoft's linked devices page and no phone is listed. I uninstalled both Microsoft Launcher and the Phone App at least 3 times clearing the App's cache as instructed, rebooted everything then reinstalled but the phone does not show as being linked. I wonder if the Phone App part of the October 2018 Update is ready for prime time? Any suggestions?

Post was last edited on October 4, 2018 6:58 AM PDT

- Collapse -
(NT) Sorry, I Don't Carry A Cell Phone, So No Help Here..
- Collapse -
Linked?

Is this a bluetooth link or cord link you refer to?

- Collapse -
WiFi link

The phone is supposed to be linked via WiFi connection.

- Collapse -
cord

Are you sure then you are using a 4 wire data & charging cord, or just a 2 wire charging cord instead? What you described it sounds like you are attempting to use a data protected charging cord instead.

- Collapse -
No cord involved

What I was trying to does does not involve a chord at all. According to the October 2018 update you are supposed to be able to link your smartphone to a PC via WiFi.

- Collapse -
(NT) did you turn on wifi setting for the phone?
- Collapse -
WiFi settings are on

Yes WiFi setting is turned on. Everything is done according the instructions. A few times I turned OFF my phones data 4G signal to make certain only the WiFi signal was being transmitted.

- Collapse -
Maybe the update is screwed.

They've already stopped distributing it. Gone are the days when you could turn off updates in windows and wait to see how the more adventurous fared first. Thankfully, being on Linux Mint I don't have that problem, but Windows should NEVER have gone over to FORCED updates. They removed a very essential part of their OS when they did that, not to mention robbed their users of more control over their operating systems. Maybe a rollback will help, or maybe your problem is from something else, but now it's the forced update that's suspect.

- Collapse -
I won't go that far.

The issue is in the news and the update is on hold. My bet is it's some edge case.

I don't have any machine that this loss happened on but I can see that if some users stored files in non-standard places the OS update could delete those.

- Collapse -
I have a friend this just happened to

So, it's not an isolated case. This person was in past a moderator here too.

- Collapse -
Bad Experience When Updating

Thank you for the post. Unfortunately, my experience has been a nightmare since installing.

My computer was sluggish and the files in my Document and Pictures folders disappeared.

I tried to uninstall the update and it has not resolved the problem.

I am trying to figure out where my files went. A scan with EaseUS Data is showing lost files. I am trying to figure out another way then spending the $70 for my lost files.

Not a happy camper today.

- Collapse -
Just Curious.. How Did You Install The Update?

You're not alone with a problem of losing files. Read the link below:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-october-update-problems-wiped-docs-plus-intel-driver-warning/

But I am interested in how the update got installed in your case. In order for files and programs to be saved, you must tell it to do so during the installation setup. The option to request file and programs saving occurs when you run "Setup.exe" from and ISO or when the install occurs online. On the other hand, if you boot from the installation disk, the install normally formats the drive and reinstalls everything from scratch. But even that depends on what you ask it to do.

IN the meantime, if you can still access the computer using an admin login, please try running "chkdsk" using the instructions below. It sometimes fixes the issue.:

It seems as though the Windows 10 "upgrade" process may not install all the files correctly, or maybe they're damaged, or maybe something else, but running Chkdsk has fixed quite a few of these minor glitches. Try running Chkdsk in "repair" mode to find any damaged files and correct them. Start by opening a command prompt as an admin. RIGHT click on the Start button, choose "Command Prompt (Admin). (Or type "Command" in the search line, then RIGHT click on the "Command Prompt" listing at the top, choose "Run as admin".) Once there, type chkdsk /f /r /x, leaving the appropriate spaces between the letters as shown, then press the Enter key. You should see a note that it can't be run till a restart is done, type "Y" for yes, then press the Enter key again. Close the command prompt and restart the computer. Chkdsk will run upon restart and will take quite a while to finish.. Don't panic when the progress bar stays at 10% for a long time. It's fairly normal and the Chkdsk process may take a couple of hours.

When it's finished, it will boot to your normal startup/lock screen and you can login normally and then see if things are working correctly again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Post was last edited on October 4, 2018 10:24 AM PDT

- Collapse -
I gave it a try

Here is my update as promised.

I tried your suggestion and it ran for almost 6 hours to recover no files.

I read the article you linked and I feel their pain -

My last resort is to use the SeaGate Recovery Program. I ran it and it has found a lot of docs, pictures and my old PST file but the question is spending the $99 worth it or just another false hope.

I will sleep on it and make my decision tomorrow so I can possibly have the best weekend in awhile or the pain continues.

Thank you again for your suggestion - it was worth a try.

I really appreciate you spending the time and helping me try to resolve my issue. That was very kind of you.

All the best

- Collapse -
Try This Free Tool For Getting Those Files Back..

It's the "Recuva" utility at the link below. Stop using the computer as soon as possible and use the Recuva program on another drive, if possible. It's a tool that's frequently recommended on these forums for recovering files.

https://www.downloadcrew.com/article/131-recuva_portable

Hope this helps.

Grif

Post was last edited on October 5, 2018 2:55 PM PDT

- Collapse -
And To Where Your File Went... Have You Checked?

Look in the saved "Windows.old" file for them.. They might currently be at C:\Windows.old\Users\Yourusername.

For the computers here, no files were deleted because of the update. But none of them use OneDrive as a default saving location and for my machines, I disable OneDrive for automatic startup. Instead, I use OneDrive as a storage location that requires a "login" to gain access. I'm not sure whether it makes a difference but maybe.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Second And Third Installs Here Went Fine

Yesterday, I installed the latest Windows 10 October 2018 update/upgrade on two different computers. One was a custom-build desktop, similar to the test machine I mentioned in my earlier post.... and the second was a Sony VIAO notebook. Similar to before I used a downloaded ISO from the Media Creation Tool but on these two computers, I simply placed the ISO in a folder of its own on the computer, mounted the ISO, then ran the "Setup.exe" inside. On both these computers which have third party antivirus programs running, I uninstalled the antivirus BEFORE performing the update. I also unplugged any USB devices. Both installs went smoothly, taking about an hour or so, and after the update was finished I reinstalled the antivirus programs, ran "chkdsk /f /r /x" and then defragged the computers.

As I posted earlier, the settings on these two computers were also changed from my previous preferences and I needed to re-enable System Restore and confirm all my other settings were as I desired.

As of this date, Microsoft hasn't released any new cumulative update to change the build number so both of these test machines had the original Version 1809, build 17763.1 number.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Just Found Something Strange On The Laptop

Although the install of the Windows 10 October 2018 update went fine and the version and build number were normal after the install, on this particular laptop, after a while, the computer got an automatic update which installed itself as a "Feature Update" and reads: "Windows 10 Insider Preview 10.0.17763.1 (rs5, release)". It did NOT change the build number and was only a small update which did not require a restart. I find it a little unusual, in that the "Insider Preview" option on the laptop was disabled and no Insider Preview versions have ever been installed previously. What's strange is that the other two desktops did not receive this update. In addition, just to be sure, I rolled back the whole October update on the laptop and reinstalled it again. But as before, although the overall install went fine and initially, there were no updates installed, shortly thereafter, the "Insider Preview" update was installed.

Just to note the "Insider Preview" update has not caused any problems in regards to performance, or anything else, but I'm not sure why it installed or what it fixed or added.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Intel Warning For 6th Generation CPU's & October 2018 Update

Intel said it "strongly recommends" users with its 6th Generation Skylake CPUs or newer processors to confirm they have the updated version before installing Windows 10 1809. IN fact, Microsoft is blocking the update from those with the affected processors.

Action Needed Before Updating to Windows® 10 October 2018 Update
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030792/graphics-drivers.html

The latest driver for the issue is at the link below but be sure your processor is one of those affected:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28180/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?v=t

Hope this helps.

Grif

Post was last edited on October 4, 2018 10:37 AM PDT

- Collapse -
WINDOWS 10 UPDATE

A NICE GUIDE TO UPDATE THE WINDOWS 10

- Collapse -
Microsoft Stops Distributing Windows 10 October 2018 Update

Microsoft recommends if you have downloaded the latest ISO from the Media Creation Tool, to avoid installing it a this time and wait for new media.

Microsoft has stopped distributing its latest Windows 10 October 2018 Update. The software giant started rolling out the update during the company’s Surface event earlier this week, but some Windows 10 users immediately noticed their documents were being deleted. “We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating,” says Microsoft on its support site for Windows Update.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/6/17944966/microsoft-windows-10-october-2018-update-documents-deleted-issues-windows-update-paused

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Microsoft Re-releasing the Windows 10 October Update
“We have fully investigated all reports of data loss, identified and fixed all known issues in the update, and conducted internal validation,” says Microsoft’s John Cable, director of program management for Windows Servicing and Delivery.

Microsoft is now re-releasing the Windows 10 October 2018 Update to Windows Insiders, before rolling it out more broadly to consumers. “We will carefully study the results, feedback, and diagnostic data from our Insiders before taking additional steps towards re-releasing more broadly,” explains Cable.

Read the links below for more.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/9/17957506/microsoft-windows-10-october-2018-update-data-deletion-fix

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2018/10/09/microsoft-lost-files-issue-windows-10.aspx

Hope this helps.

Grif

Post was last edited on October 9, 2018 4:58 PM PDT

- Collapse -
Gotta love those Insiders.
- Collapse -
Windows App Store

Why there is not much apps in Windows store compare to ios & android. When microsoft itself is as big as apple & google. Where microsoft is lacking behind.

- Collapse -
Re: Windows app store.

Three reasons:
- Most apps in app store are written by third parties. It's their choice for which platform(s) to write. Not Apple's, Google's or Microsofts.
- Most apps are written for phones. There is hardly any Windows phone left.
- On Windows laptop with a touch screen, a lot can be done by standard Windows programs. No need for an mobile app for those cases.

What apps are you specifically missing in the Windows store, limiting the use of your Windows device (what Windows device do you have?) and forcing you to use an Android or iOS device to use them? If none, you found the perfect answer: a Windows app is not needed. Ain't that a perfect reason to not make it?

CNET Forums

Forum Info