Question

Windows 10 feature update Oxc1900101 error

I have made four attempts to upgrade to 1803 but always fail with the Oxc1900101 error which I have yet to resolve.
I have temporarily disabled the update process in Win10 Home but have a query - each time I activate ‘update’ a laborious download begins (at 4 Mbps) - is the previous download available from my hard drive. I have searched the usual Windows files to no avail.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows 10 feature update Oxc1900101 error
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows 10 feature update Oxc1900101 error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Tried Running The Update Like This?

First, download and run the Update Troubleshooter at the link below:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter

Next, you're going to run the Windows 10 update offline from the ISO file. (There are three ways to do that; from the ISO itself, from a DVD created from the ISO, or from a USB created from the ISO. All using the Media Creation Tool below.)

So, download the full Windows 10 ISO to to a folder on your computer using the Windows Media Creation Tool (Create Windows 10 installation media). After that ISO is downloaded, I've updated from all three methods above, but for the easiest, we'll just run the ISO from the folder on your computer. (If you'd prefer to do it from a DVD disk, then simply follow the instructions in the creation tool to burn the ISO image to a blank DVD.)

Once the ISO is on the computer, then unplug all USB devices, temporarily disable your antivirus (uninstall it is better), then double click on the ISO file in the folder you saved it to. Once it becomes "mounted" so you can view the internal files, double click on the "Setup.exe" file to start the update. Let it finish.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Updating from ISO

If I were to update from the ISO file using the Windows Media Creation Tool would that be a clean install?
ie: would I lose all my data, mail etc?
I reset my PC some weeks ago to resolve earlier update problems but lost some apps and data (never to return) so I don't wish to repeat that error.

I checked my setuperr file to attempt to identify any driver problems but there were multiple errors that I could not understand, none identifying (to me) which drivers may be at fault.

Again I have temporarily disabled the update process by faking a metered connection but I fear I may never achieve the 1803!
I am currently on the 1709 16299.461

Thanks Grif for your efforts on my behalf.

- Collapse -
Re: updating

Just mount the .iso and run setup.exe. That will update Windows and leave your data. Should work, unless something is really wrong.

But it won't harm at all to make a backup of your data before you do it.

- Collapse -
Updating From ISO Is NOT a Clean Install

Making sure to run the "setup.exe" file from within the ISO will cause all your other apps and data to be saved. Basically, only the new versions of Windows will be installed as long as you tell the setup to keep your previous files. In order to perform a complete clean install, you would need to boot from and external USB or disk with the ISO burned as an image to it.

But as Kees stated, it's ALWAYS a good idea to make backups of all your important stuff prior to such major update/upgrades.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Success

I updated from the ISO as suggested and the process worked like a charm.
After six weeks of struggle and frustration I now have 1803 installed without loss of data.
Having read many tales of woe regarding the 1803 features update on various forums I can recommend this solution.
I have already imaged my System and C drives as insurance!

Many thanks for all your help.

CNET Forums

Forum Info