General discussion

Windows 10 Fall 2019 Upgrade Coming Soon

Although the upcoming Windows 10’s 19H2 update will arrive sometime soon, it's not supposed to be as large or disruptive as the previously semi-annual update upgrades. It should update Windows 10 to version number 1909. "Installing 19H2 will be more like installing a standard cumulative update like the updates that arrive on Patch Tuesday." Read more about it in the link below:

What’s New in Windows 10’s 19H2 Update, Arriving Fall 2019
https://www.howtogeek.com/437112/whats-new-in-windows-10s-19h2-update-arriving-fall-2019/

Windows 10's 19H2 Fall 2019 Update takes possibly its last step before a formal release
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3440818/windows-10s-19h2-fall-2019-update-takes-possibly-its-last-step-before-a-formal-release.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows 10 Fall 2019 Upgrade Coming Soon
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows 10 Fall 2019 Upgrade Coming Soon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
A Quick Check Of The Media Creation Tool, It's Not There Yet

As the topic above states, the latest Version 1909 update/upgrade to Windows 10 hasn't been released to the Media Creation Tool and isn't available except to those in the "Insider Programs". At least, as of today.

As usual, we'll see how this release goes.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Curious

My OS Wins 10 Pro Ver 1903 I have installed latest updates yet my "build" shows #18362.295 (released 8/13/19) and according to Msft list most recent build is #183362.387 (released 9/26/19). Any explanation for this?

- Collapse -
Major and minor version.

Here I'm seeing from the command line ver

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.356]

Looks like you are ahead of me.

-> In short, the Ver 1930 is the major version and it appears the 295, 356 and 387 are the minor version.

- Collapse -
Major and Minor

Thx. Robert for this clarification. Maybe I will catch up to build 387 in due course with future updates

- Collapse -
A Little More Info About It

Like Bob, my current build version indicates the .356 version and that is derived from the latest "patch Tuesday" update which is cumulative and includes both security and various improvement fixes. It is generally the safest version to download and install. In order to get to the .387 build number, you'll have to download the latest 'improvement fixes' only version and it's much less safe for installing.. Almost "Beta like" and you'll have to click on the "Check for Updates" button to find it. The .387 build isn't currently "pushed" to users.. See that latest build version in the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4517211

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
A Little More Info

I knew you Guys would be in the Know that's why I will sit back and just follow the notifications for Updates on my PC.
Keep up the good surveillance for all of Us less informed Happy

Ken

- Collapse -
Can't wait to clap

Wow, guess i have to turn off my win updates Happy

- Collapse -
Don't update

The update crashed my network drivers

- Collapse -
Sounds Like You Still Have Auto Driver Updates Enabled

For most, the best option is to disable Microsoft's automatic installation of device drivers. That way, they can't automatic install such drivers and cause the problem. And if the drivers have been incorrectly installed by Microsoft, then visit the network device manufacturer's website, or the computer manufacturer's website and install the correct network drivers from those sites.

Once that's done, disable automatic driver updates by using the steps below, then in the link below:

First, open the Control Panel, then System, then 'Advanced System Settings" on the left, then the "Hardware" tab, then "Device Installation Settings" button, then select "No". After that, follow the steps in the link below:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Windows 10 1909

The bloat of this OS is out of control; older CPUS run like 15-20% cpu overrhead now at idle, the patch rate is insane, coming to the point whereas Windows server may be the only option now. I bought a "mini" pc with an atom processor just to watch game streaming, it cant even do that, CPU is blown out just on idle! I dont really like linux, but its lookin like i have no choice soon!

- Collapse -
On 1903 there.

With a dozen tabs open on Chrome to CNET my CPU METER is loafing along at 1 to 2%.

Not great, not terrible.

- Collapse -
take a look at Mint
" I dont really like linux, but its lookin like i have no choice soon!"

It's what I use. If your computer has UEFI, you want to use the 64 bit version of Mint. It has 3 desktops, Cinnamon, MATE, and for older 10+ years, XFCE. Mate is medium demand & arguably most stable, Cinnamon the most demanding, but nothing like windows demands.

Post was last edited on October 2, 2019 1:08 AM PDT

- Collapse -
No Problems On Win10 V1903 Here Either

I'm currently on an older desktop, running an I3-3240 processor, with 6 tabs open on Firefox, one running a video on Youtube and the CPU is running at 14% load. No too bad for a machine from 2012. And my old, small Sony VAIO SVT13132PXS Ultrabook, also with an older i3 processor (1.9 GHZ) is currently being used by my wife with 3 windows open on Firefox and it has 2% load at idle. Also not bad. Both machines are using wimpy onboard graphics but they both work fine when watching any type of streaming video.

Although I don't game on either machine, they work fine. As to the 'patch rate', I've disabled automatic driver updates and let them check for updates each monthly "Patch Tuesday". Other than the twice annual upgrade/updates that have been required, that works fine here also.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Post was last edited on October 2, 2019 4:08 PM PDT

- Collapse -
If you’re sick of big Windows 10 updates

In case you're tired of huge Windows 10 updates at regular intervals, Windows 10's November 2019 Update (19H2) is the update for you! Introducing this update will be progressively similar to introducing a standard aggregate update like the updates that land on Patch Tuesday. It ought to be a little download with a quick establishment process—no long reboot and cleansing of old Windows establishments vital.

Irrelevant link removed by moderator.

Post was last edited on October 11, 2019 12:59 AM PDT

- Collapse -
It's Got A Name: The Windows 10 November 2019 Update

CNET Forums

Forum Info