Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Window XP SP2 and printer and scanner problems

by Mowassa / October 26, 2004 4:17 AM PDT

I have a new HP computer with the Windows SP2 installed. Have an HP 932C Printer and an HP Scanjet 3300C - having problems with both as far as installation. I've contacted HP several times and nothing has worked. When trying to download new CD for Scanner, get an error message about "digital signature". Had Windows ME before and had no problems - anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Window XP SP2 and printer and scanner problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Window XP SP2 and printer and scanner problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Window XP SP2 and printer and scanner problems
by Cetin Denislam / October 26, 2004 4:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Mowassa / October 27, 2004 12:17 AM PDT

Thanks Cetin. I'll try that also.

Collapse -
You are welcome and..."Good Luck" ... [NT]
by Cetin Denislam / October 27, 2004 4:13 AM PDT

Collapse -
by glb613 / October 26, 2004 7:04 AM PDT

Older peripherals will often have problems installing when using XP. Be sure to visit the company's web site and get the latest drivers. Many times you will get that error message when using drivers that were created before XP. It doesn't mean the printer or scanner won't work but, that is a possibility. My suggestion, try installing according to the directions found at the web site. XP can be very particular about the order things are installed.

Good news, if they don't work, replacments are cheap. In fact, you may find you can get a better printer/scanner for the cost of replacing the ink cartridges.

Collapse -
by Mowassa / October 27, 2004 12:35 AM PDT

I have done all that you mentioned. Uninstalled SP2, installed scanner, reinstalled SP2, etc. I got the latest driver for the printer from HP's website and for the scanner I purchased the upgraded CD to work with XP. I was trying to avoid buying new peripherals as both are in great condition. But, if all else fails.... Thanks for the reply.

Collapse -
by glb613 / October 27, 2004 6:15 AM PDT

I found with XP, I had to install the software first then plug in the item. If I didn't follow the directions, the installatioin didn't work. I also have some older peripherals that work great and I didn't want to replace them. I ignored the error message that you described, finished the installation and they worked fine. In fact, I have a Canon scanner that is still working great.

If I remember right, there have been other posts about that same printer not working with XP. It could be that no matter what you do, it isn't compatible. Good luck and like I wrote earlier, at least the replacements are not costly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?