Mac OS forum

General discussion

window size

by thegeekdeek / October 19, 2006 11:08 PM PDT

I've been using my iBook for several years now and am pretty satisfied with the whole experience.

One thing that has me annoyed, however, is the window size of programs. Every window has to be scrolled right to left to see the whole image. Why is that?

Take iTunes for instance. I compared the window to the same program running on a PC desktop. On iBook, the view is actually about 3/4 of the actual window. On Windows, the view is about 95%. If I hit the green button on top, it actually REDUCES the size of the window. DOH!

Is there a setting I have overlooked?

I'm a guy! Size does matter!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: window size
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: window size
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
iTunes window management
by chinajon6 / October 20, 2006 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: window size

I can think of some things to do to make the iTunes window more acceptable.
* You can adjust the size of both the main widows and the columns to suit your needs.
* You can set the text size preferences to get more on screen.
* In GENERAL, set the source size to 'SMALL'
* Then move the divider to the left to give more area to the right window.
* Check the 'Song Text" Size to see if you want it small as well.
* Select which optional columns such as genre and ratings you can do without, and uncheck them.

If you are sort of dissatisfied with the whole screen appearance, rather than just iTunes, try some other screen resolutions to see if that helps.

Lastly, many apps will adjust the screen presentation for you when you press Command and the PLUS or MINUS keys.

With the way my eyes are, I don't like the tiny text, and just put the columns I want on the left, keeping a large text size. If I need to see my rating, I can scroll over no problem.

Collapse -
Screen Resolution
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 20, 2006 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: window size

A lot of what you are referring to can be the effect of having a screen resolution that is not really suitable.
A screen resolution of 1024 X 768 on a 15" screen is not quite small enough to view the ITMS without scrolling just a little.
Take a look a the Monitors setting and see if you can go to a higher resolution.
If you have an older iBook then you are probably running the screen at 800 X 600 which is the best it will do. If that is the case, there really is nothing you can do except scroll left and right.
That green button? Apparently it is to reduce the screen to just the player controls and volume. Note that it does not have a + sign on it until it is set small.
On the PC you compared window size with, is the screen the same size as your iBook screen? Is the screen resolution the same as your iBook?

P

Collapse -
Both computers are
by thegeekdeek / October 22, 2006 8:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Screen Resolution

set for 1024 X 768. I forgot about the screen size: the PC is 15" and the iBook is 13" so maybe that has alot to do with it. Guess my next Mac will have to have a bigger screen. Speaking of such, what is the battery life (hours) of the new MacBooks? My present battery will last for several hours if I have only one window open. My wife's and daughters HP only last 1-1/2 hrs. And is there an internal battery I should be wary of and its anticipated life expectancy? Thanks

Collapse -
Battery life varies, so it is
by boya84 / October 22, 2006 10:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Both computers are

a challenge to answer that question. If the AirPort is on and the hard drive never goes to sleep and the CPU is set to Highest rather than Automatic (if you have this setting) and you are watching a DVD or otherwise using that disc drive - arguably a single screen, the battery will last a lot less than if you have a single browser screen open with CPU set to Automatic or Lowest (if you have this setting) and disc and monitor set to sleep after 10 minutes (or whatever) of no use... and all networking, including AirPort and AppleTalk, are off...

Similar power savings could be had on the HP - so... (with the answer I REALLY don't like to get, but need to use): "It depends"...

(sorry)

Collapse -
oh... and I can't help at the moment
by boya84 / October 22, 2006 10:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Both computers are

with the internal battery question, but if I find something, I'll post it...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?