Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Window's XP performance question

by Steve1209 / May 26, 2008 8:31 AM PDT

Hey all,

I'm using Window's XP PRO SP3 installed, I have a question about some System.ini file setting, namely [Vcache], I have 1GB RAM installed, can anyone tell me what under my Vcache in systems.ini for minfilecache= & maxfilecache=, I have a problem opening some applications by double clicking their ICON from my desktop

Thanks,
Steve

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Window's XP performance question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Window's XP performance question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2008 8:52 AM PDT

Is let Windows manage the cache. But the most common reasons I see a performance issue is some FREERAM program or the old DMA issue. Read http://winhlp.com/node/10
Bob

Collapse -
Let Windows XP manage Cache??
by Steve1209 / May 26, 2008 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: What I do.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your response...
I installed the DMA fix U mentioned, how do "I let Windows XP manage Cache"?
Do I need the [vcache] entry in system.ini for my XP pro system with the maxfilecache=/minfilecache= values? If I need it, what values should I have with 1GB RAM installed, *IF* I don't need it what do I do in system.ini file to let windows manage it?

Thanks for your help,
Steve

Collapse -
It's automatic
by Jimmy Greystone / May 26, 2008 9:49 AM PDT

It's automatic for Windows to manage all the different types of memory. There's no need for you to be messing around with anything in the system.ini file unless you know exactly what you're doing. No offense, but it's pretty clear from your posts that you have no business even knowing that file exists, let alone contemplating making changes to it.

Collapse -
System.ini setting's
by Steve1209 / May 26, 2008 10:08 AM PDT
In reply to: It's automatic

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for letting me know how STUPID I am about system.ini files and performance on my window's XP system, I'm sorry your helpful info didn't help answer my question. I'll ask the question again, I currently have in my System.ini file a [vcache] entry with a minfilecache=107374 and a maxfilecache=268435. My question again is how do I let window's manage this value or what settings should I have with 1GB RAM installed?

Thanks again for any help,
Steve

Collapse -
I TOLD you
by Jimmy Greystone / May 26, 2008 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: System.ini setting's

I TOLD you already! It's AUTOMATIC. Leave well enough alone, and forget you ever heard of the system.ini file. If you persist, you're going to regret it when some change you make means your system won't boot any longer.

And none of my comments were intended to be insulting, so it's a little sad that you seem to think so little of yourself that you just assume people are insulting you. But, not my problem. You've had your question answered, twice. If that answer isn't the one you were looking for, well that's your problem. You're free to find your own via Google, but when you find your computer will not reboot -- and you will -- as a result of some cavalier change you made, messing around with things you don't understand... Just don't say I didn't warn you.

Collapse -
I'll wait for a more LUCID answer
by Steve1209 / May 26, 2008 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: I TOLD you

Hi Jimmy,

Your answers border on SCARE information, like Don't touch your system or it will implode, believe me I have a good understanding of Window's XP, performance and settings, I do not fully understand performance and the reason for my questions, your answers are CRAZY, I'll wait for a more Lucid responder, you can take the evening off buddy

Steve

Collapse -
It is NOT automatic ~ IF ~
by nousndthem / April 22, 2009 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: I TOLD you

It is NOT automatic ~ IF ~ there is already a
[vcache]
MinFileCache=
MaxFileCache=

entry in system.ini

It can be returned to being "automatic" ( better to say "managed by windows" ) by removing

[vcache]
MinFileCache=andthenumbers
MaxFileCache=andthenumbers

from system.ini

Collapse -
Here's the article about letting Windows manage this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2008 11:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
Aside from all this discussion about vcache,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 26, 2008 9:18 PM PDT

you haven't described the problems you are having.

You said you have a problem opening some applications by double clicking their shortcut icons on the Desktop.

What problems? What happens and what error messages do you get? What applications, and is it all of the shortcuts on your Desktop?

Does this also apply to the shortcuts in your Start menu > All Programs listings?

I GB of RAM is usually plenty for XP to run smoothly, and as has already been said, tinkering with the way Windows handles virtual memory is usually not necessary.

Let us know more so we can get a better idea of the problems.

Mark

Collapse -
More info & thanks
by Steve1209 / May 27, 2008 7:16 AM PDT

Hi Robert & Mark,

Robert thanks for the article. Mark, it's taking forever for the applications to open and yes it does happen for the applications from the start>programs list as well. At first I thought maybe it was a virus or spyware or adware but every scan I performed came back clean, also no rootkits were found. I defragged the system but it still takes forever for them to open. That's what got me to tinking about the memory & Vcache values but if you think I'm barking up the wrong tree I'll look around further. I went to the startup and stopped many of the unnecessary programs from loading, like MS office, adobe and a bunch of other things I have but rarely use. I have a pentium 4 3.2GHz processor so hopefully it's powerful enough, I can't think of anything I added recently it just seemed to start happening. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for your answers & questions,
Steve

Collapse -
Some things to try.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 27, 2008 9:18 PM PDT
In reply to: More info & thanks

Steve, there could be a number of reasons for this slow performance, so here are some things to try;

Firstly, do you have a firewall, and any anti-virus and anti-spyware utilities installed and running? If so, which ones? Viruses and spyware will slow down a system, and if you have no protection the likelihood of a malware infection is greater. However, some anti-malware utilities can also be resource hogs, (Norton products seem the obvious culprits), so there could also be a performance hit with some anti-malware utilities checking the applications you are trying to open.

Secondly, from your original question, just check your Virtual Memory settings. Find your My Computer icon, (either on the Desktop or in the Start Menu), right click it and select Properties. Then in the new window goto Advanced, and click on the Settings button under "Performance". In the new window click the Advanced tab, then the "Change" button under Virtual memory.

If there is no paging file set, (the Page File is the same as Virtual memory), or if a Custom Size has been set, try selecting "System managed size" instead, then click the "Set" button.

OK/Apply/Apply/OK. Windows XP does a good job in managing its own virtual memory. With 1GB of actual RAM you should not be having memory problems anyway.

Next steps;

1] Startup.

What is your Startup, (boot), time like? If it is slow and ponderous then perhaps you have too many applications set to load at bootup. Once loaded they will reside in RAM waiting for you to call them up. If you have a large number of icons in your System Tray, (also known as the Notification Area where the clock is displayed), then this is an indication of too many startup files. You can look at each application by hovering the mouse over each icon in the System Tray to see what they are, then either double clicking or right clicking and selecting Options, or similar. Remove any options for "Load at Startup". The words may be different but the result is the same. Don't disable any firewall, anti-spyware, or anti-virus.

If that doesn't work, try the System Configuration Utility. Goto Start > Run, type in msconfig and click OK. In the new window click the Startup tab and start checking the entries. Google will be your friend here, but the usual suspects are anything to do with Real Player, or Real Networks, Quicktime, any Instant Messengers. Viruses and spyware will also load entries into here as well. Deselect any you want to disable, then click Apply. You will get an information window saying the changes will take effect the next time you startup. Also, on that next occasion, you will see another window on startup telling you you have chosen selective startup. That window can be suppressed from within the window itself.

2] Services.

XP uses a lot of services and mostly they are required. But some are not and some, like Indexing Service, whilst useful for cataloging every file held on the hard disk, will affect performance during its cataloging stage, which could take weeks or months. There are other services that can either be disabled, or set to manual, (meaning they will only start when you select something specific). Open up your Services console by going to Start > Run, type in services.msc and clicking OK. In the new window select the Extended tab at the bottom.

You can highlight these services to see some details, or double click them to see more information and to change the "Startup type:" from automatic to manual or disable.

The ElderGeek has a good list of Services to guide you;
http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

3] Processes

These are different from Services in that they are the processes currently running in the background. There's no guide as to how many processes any system should have at any time, but as an example, with my Dell Dimension 8300, 3.0Ghz Pentium and 2GB of RAM, running XP Professional, I have 37 processes currently. The Windows Task Manager will show you how many you have, and it is a very good indication of anything "happening" on your system.

To open your Task Manager either right click the Taskbar and select Task Manager, or press the 3 keys CTRL+Alt+Del together just once.

In the new window, (you can always close other windows as you have finished them Happy ), click the Processes tab. Just a couple of things;

a) If you see no tabs or menu items, double click the bar along the top of the window.
b) In the Processes tab make sure you can see the columns CPU and Mem Usage. If you cannot, goto View > Select Columns, and select CPU usage and Memory Usage.

The Performance tab will show you any spiking of the CPU processor and of memory, but it is the Processes tab where you see what is using most CPU and/or memory at any time. For a clearer view, click the CPU column header twice. This will list the entries as most used first.

It's up to you to check these. Google helps or you can try http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
That site will help you identify most of the processes, what they are, and whether they are necessary, optional, or malware.

4] Hard disk.

You haven't said what size your hard disk is, or how full it is. Open your My Computer, highlight the C drive, (if that is your main drive where the OS is installed), and select Properties. That will give you a pie chart of your disk size and usage.

5] Mapped drives.

Do you have a home network running, eg to other computers at home? Some home networks have been set up where the shared drives or folders on other computers are "mapped" to a drive letter in the host computer. This means that, for example, a folder on computer B will show up as a hard drive in My Computer on Computer A.

This is fine, but sometimes, if a network is turned off, then applications like some of the Microsoft Office apps will try to connect to that drive when the application is opened or when the user goes to File > Open in the application. The application keeps trying until it times out, and then it will continue working again.

If you have any mapped drives then this may be a cause of the delay in some of your applications opening.

I hope some of that helps.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?