Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Window Movie Maker

by DDBugler / February 10, 2007 12:59 AM PST

Just getting started into making home movies on my computer,,,,,I have played alot with analog, but now I have a Panasonic PV-GS320 MiniDV. I have Windows Mover Maker,, is that what I need or should I go to other software? I will be burning DVD's.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Window Movie Maker
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Window Movie Maker
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ask one question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: Window Movie Maker

Does Windows Movie Maker (windows xp) create DVDs?

(Hint = No.)

Bob

Collapse -
Hint
by DDBugler / February 10, 2007 2:05 AM PST
In reply to: Ask one question.

thanks for the hint,,,I need to slow down and read more,,but this is all going so fast for this old man,,,I guess Panasonic will have some kind of software in the camera package.

Collapse -
Yes...
by whizkid454 / February 10, 2007 4:24 AM PST
In reply to: Ask one question.

It does. You can create DVDs in Movie Maker.

Collapse -
Where.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: Yes...

I'm looking but I don't see any DVD creation option in Movie Maker 1.

Bob

Collapse -
NO
by Mac3_YD / February 10, 2007 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: Where.

it does not have a dvd creation

Collapse -
I have personally used it...
by whizkid454 / February 10, 2007 8:06 AM PST
In reply to: NO

please update to Service Pack 2. It is there.

Collapse -
Done. Still can't find DVD creation. Microsoft writes...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 9:39 AM PST
Collapse -
Jeeze
by DDBugler / February 10, 2007 10:03 AM PST

Thanks for all the input,,,,,, I am really enjoying all of this,,I have XP Pro with SP 2,,,,, Movie Maker 2.1,,,, I will run the program and let y'all know what I come up with,,,Any suggestion as to a software program for me to try?,,,,,,,,,,reviews,reviews,reviews, ah the power of the internet.

Collapse -
What the program shows.
by DDBugler / February 10, 2007 10:13 AM PST
In reply to: Jeeze

This is what the program has to say about saving my movie
Saving and sending movies

The Save Movie Wizard lets you quickly save your project as a final movie. The timing, layout, and contents of the project are saved as one complete movie. You can save and store the movie on your computer or on a recordable CD, or you can send it as an attachment in an e-mail message or to a video hosting provider on the Web. In addition to these choices, you can choose to record your movie to a tape in a DV camera.

This page of the Save Movie Wizard lets you select which movie saving option you want to use, depending on what you want to do with the final movie. The following options appear on this page.

My computer

Specifies that you want to save your movie to your local computer or to a shared network location.

Recordable CD

Specifies that you want to save your movie to a recordable or rewriteable CD (CD-R or CD-RW). Choose this option if you have a rewriteable or recordable CD drive attached to your computer and you want to save your final movie to a recordable or rewriteable CD.

Specifies that you want to save your movie as an attachment to send in an e-mail message. Choose the option to share smaller movies with others by sending them in e-mail by using your default e-mail program.

The Web

Specifies that you want to save your movie and then send it to a video hosting provider on the Web. A video hosting provider is a third-party provider on the Web that provides a Web server location and hosts the movies you save in Windows Movie Maker. Choose this option if you want to save your movie so family and friends can watch your movie on the Web.

DV camera

Specifies that you want to send your movie to a tape in your DV camera. This option is available when you have a DV camera connected to an IEEE 1394 port. Choose this option if you want to save your movie to a tape so you and others can watch it on the DV camera or on a TV (when you connect the camera to a TV).

NO DVD

Collapse -
Answering the question of the original poster...
by whizkid454 / February 10, 2007 10:13 AM PST

Version: Windows Movie Maker Version 5.1 for SP2

Yes, you can create DVDs directly through Movie Maker 2, IF you have a DVD burning program which usually comes preloaded on your computer when you first get it. The free or limited versions are fine for this task. My DVD burning program (Sonic) interoperates with MM2 so it all goes together at once without having to open two different programs. When you have Movie Maker open, there is a bar on the left side and when you expand the "Finish Movie" tab, under "save to CD" there is "save to DVD". Click that and a save window will pop up and it will "save" the MM2 project. Right after that, another window will pop up saying "DVD Title:_______->DVD Burner:________, etc." Once that is filled out, click "Burn to DVD" and it works, pop it out, put it in the DVD player, and plays like a charm.

Sorry you others couldn't get it to work, but it does have the ability.

Collapse -
Another Hard Turn
by DDBugler / February 10, 2007 10:17 AM PST

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm,,,,,Houston we have a problem,,,

Collapse -
Nearly ALL new PCs....
by whizkid454 / February 10, 2007 10:34 AM PST
In reply to: Another Hard Turn

...that come with a DVD burner will come with, at least, a free or limited version of a DVD burning program. Period. Was your computer built by you or did you buy it from Dell, HP, Gateway, etc? Please make sure you also have Windows XP SP2. The MM2 comes with the SP2 download. Perhaps there was an update to it, but my copy of it came with that "link" to burn straight to DVD.

Please look in your Start menu and see what DVD burning program you have, if any. If you do see one, and it is functional (able to burn), then should go into Movie Maker and tell which exact version you have. In Movie Maker, go to Help and click "about Movie Maker" and tell exactly what it says. Version 5.1 is what I have.

I'll be waiting to hear... Good luck!

Collapse -
What is "it"? Movie Maker 2? Sorry, I see "it."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 10:25 AM PST

All I have is Movie Maker 2, Ulead products but no Sonic. As such I think you revealed why my system can't use Movie Maker 2 for DVD work.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Bob

Collapse -
My "it"....
by whizkid454 / February 10, 2007 10:42 AM PST

was referring to the computer. "...when you first get [the computer]." Does Ulead offer DVD burning programs?

Collapse -
While I can burn and make video DVDs
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 11:17 AM PST
In reply to: My "it"....

In my Ulead and other products, Windows Movie Maker 1 or 2 appears to be a dead end proprietary product.

Why I responded was to see if I had missed a feature in MM1 or MM2.

Bob

Collapse -
Just some facts
by ChrisJBSC / February 12, 2007 1:22 AM PST

Windows Movie Maker in XP can not write DVDs. HOWEVER, most computers that CAN write DVDs (or external DVD writers you buy) will come with software that allows the DVD to be written. WMM can often interface to these other programs to make the writing of DVDs easy.

There are TWO FORMATS for the DVDs. One is to use it as a data disk that can be used in other PC's or as a backup medium. Creating this format is easy (as long as the first paragraph bits apply!).
Creating the second format is harder. You need to convert from the .WMV format that WMM typically writes into an MPEG-2 format and structure that a DVDplayer+TV can read. To do this you OFTEN need a separate program (e.g. ConvertXtoDVD) to do the format conversion. Once converted, you can then write the DVD for playback on a normal TV assuming para 1 is working for you.

Windows Vista, Home Ultimate edition, has all of this capability included out of the box, so no need for extra programs.

And yes, WMM is a "proprietary" product. Its written by Microsoft for use on any PC. However, it is NOT a closed product, as many people have produced updates and extras for it, using the intended XML capabilities.
And yes, WMM V1 is going away to be replaced with WMM V2. Which is also going to go away over the next 5 years or so to be replaced with WMM in Vista. Nothing "dead-end" there - just normal software product updates.

Collapse -
Actually, iMovie, Final Cut Pro, and a raft of others are
by Kiddpeat / February 12, 2007 3:05 AM PST
In reply to: Just some facts

all 'proprietary' products as well. Good catch.

I'm still scratching my head about what was meant by the 'dead end' comment. Wink

Collapse -
Dead end defined.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2007 3:32 AM PST

I call MM1 and MM2 a dead end since once I create something in MM1/2 I can't save it as MPEG or other format that I can interchange with other video editors. It's one way only.

Too limited but at least it's free.

Bob

Collapse -
Hmmmmmmmm, Sony Vegas can open Windows Media Video
by Kiddpeat / February 12, 2007 9:26 AM PST
In reply to: Dead end defined.
AND Windows Media Audio files, but you can't open them in any software that you use?

I still remember how Windows Media Player salvaged the tunes I purchased from Apple after Apple trashed its own library with an iTunes upgrade that Apple snuck in with a Quick Time upgrade that was required to close a security hole. WMP ripped the iTunes created CD, and Sony's Sound Forge read the resulting WMA files which allowed me to create WAV files.

Windows. Usually, it just works.

I'm still wondering why the 'dead end' characterization was used.
Collapse -
Yes, Ulead records to DVD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2007 3:30 AM PST
In reply to: My "it"....

Also I can do many other things. But this discussion was about Movie Maker (1 or 2).

Bob

Collapse -
WMM2 and DVD's
by glennlee / February 12, 2007 6:39 AM PST

WMM2 will allow you to make playable DVD?s but it can not write the dvd directly. You must save the output to a DV-AVI file first, and then use another application to render and write the AV file to DVD. DVD Santa does this nicely, and is not expensive. Here are step by step directions:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/create/savetodvd.mspx#movie

VideoMaker Free is a free DVD writing program that handles AVI files. It is slow, but on my equipment, surefooted. Rendering a writing a DVD will take 3X the run time of your file. Get it here (near the bottom of the page):

http://www.videodvdmaker.com/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!