HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Window Media Center missing

by minhpham / December 4, 2008 1:11 PM PST

I got HP a1747c PC with window Vista Home Premium. For some reasons, the Window Media Center disappeared on my PC. No icon, no program, no trace. I do search on start button, but no WMC. I discover the WMC mising after I install Roxio 2009, but I remember I do not disable or replace the DVD player from WMC to Roxio Movie player. Please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Window Media Center missing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Window Media Center missing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Likely just a shortcut issue...
by John.Wilkinson / December 5, 2008 12:31 AM PST

The default search only looks for Start Menu shortcuts and other indexed files, not all applications. Thus, it is quite likely that Media Center is still intact, just missing a shortcut. Try pressing WINKEY + R and entering %SystemRoot%\ehome\ehshell.exe into the box that appears. If Media Center launches all you'll need to do is browse to C:\Windows\ehome, right-click ehshell.exe, and select "Pin to Start Menu."

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Window Media Center missing
by minhpham / December 6, 2008 5:26 AM PST

Hi John
Thank you for helping me. I try to do as you mention,but my PC said that it can not find the file name (systemboot ehome eshell....). someone suggest me to run Recover Manager, but this will format my hard drive and I will lose all the sofwares that I installed after I bough this PC (software eare from my friends). My PC was came with window Vista and WMC as OS. I look in the Recover CD, but can not find WMC. Any other suggestion?

Collapse -
WMC missing
by minhpham / December 7, 2008 1:05 PM PST

Hi John
I finaly get my WMC back by look at the other people. Here is what I follow : Windows Media Center Missing - Cygnus33
22-Jun-08 04:49:00
I fineally got it back. Here's what it took.

In Control Panel - Default Programs - Set program access and computer
defaults -tick Microsoft button. Thanks Nilocrenrew(6/28/2007). "
--
Cygnus333

I do not have to format my hasr drive as sugget by the HP agent in India. Thank to Cygnus333.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.