Laptops forum

Question

Window logo loads but black screen after, what to do after?

by sandy2409 / June 24, 2012 5:27 AM PDT

Hello!

I have a netbook em350 emachines. The other day, I was on it when it restarted itself, ever since then, it loads the window logo but it's just a black screen after that.

I can tell "something" has been loaded because the batter power is on (orange) and so is the wireless etc but just a black screen.

I've gone into safe mode by pressing F8 etc but I don't know what to do once I'm in etc. I did install something for my phone the day it crashed. I've Enable VGA mode. and it did a few stuff but it still loads up the black screen Sad

what do I do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Window logo loads but black screen after, what to do after?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Window logo loads but black screen after, what to do after?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If Windows loads in Safe Mode
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 5:33 AM PDT

If Windows loads correctly while in Safe Mode, two things you can do.

System Restore back to before you installed something for the phone.

If that fails, look at the Event Viewer and see what is preventing a proper load in Normal Mode.

Mark

Collapse -
Safe Mode?
by sandy2409 / June 24, 2012 5:43 AM PDT

It loads correctly in Safe Mode.

How do I System Restore it? I think I've found it. I went into Safe Mode, then administration, and found eMachines Recovery Management and found restore there?

If that doesn't fail, how do I look at the Event Viewer?

Collapse -
Safe Mode
by sandy2409 / June 24, 2012 7:00 AM PDT

Safe mode doesn't work when I click on my account but when I'm on my own account, it doesn't load anything but a black screen?

Collapse -
Answer
When no modes work we get our files out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 5:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
So safe mode works?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 5:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
Safe mode.
by sandy2409 / June 24, 2012 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: So safe mode works?

Thank you. I will give that a go.

Collapse -
Answer
still not working?
by sandy2409 / June 24, 2012 6:58 AM PDT

It's still not working. What should I do?

Collapse -
Still not working
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: still not working?

What does that mean?

Please describe what happened and what you see now?

Mark

Collapse -
You said above
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Still not working

that "Safe mode doesn't work when I click on my account but when I'm on my own account, it doesn't load anything but a black screen?"

Sorry but I don't know what that means. You said Windows had loaded in Safe Mode but now you are saying your account doesn't work. Which account works in safe mode?

I think we need to know basics now. What OS? Windows, but which one and which Service Pack?

What was this thing you installed from the phone?

What was this VGA mode you enabled? When loading Windows into Safe Mode VGA is automatically selected.

What happened when you ran System Restore?

Mark

Collapse -
Right.
by sandy2409 / June 24, 2012 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: You said above

Right. I'm going to start from the beginning.

The thing I installed for my phone was samsung Kies. A software I downloaded so I can put music, photos etc onto my phone. I don't know if that has anything to do with my net book being the way it is but I thought I would put it out there.

When I go onto safe mode with networking/command set up, I can click two users

i) Administrator
ii) Laura (my user name)

When I click on my user name, it comes up with a pop up box where I can click yes or no. I click yes saying that I agree with using safe mode etc. But when I go onto Administrator account, an old fashion looking task bar loads and other things.

When I ran system restore, it loaded then it gave me three options

i)Completely Restore System to Factory Defaults
ii)Restore Operating System and Retain User Data
iii)Reinstall Drivers and Applications

I tried to click on the first option, a popup box came on the screen saying everything will be restored to the original settings and hardware name. Press ok if you want to continue but it wasn't highlighted so I couldn't click on it.

When I enabled the VGA, it loaded a blue screen that did a disk check. That's when I decided to go through safe mode again.

What OS? Windows, but which one and which Service Pack?- I don't understand what this means, sorry!!
hope this helps!

Collapse -
That is the wrong System Restore
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Right.

Which Windows OS, (Operating System), are you using, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7?

Which version of Windows are you using, XP Home or Professional, Vista Home Basic or Ultimate, Windows 7 Home Premium or Ultimate or Business?

Those options you saw relate to "returning the system to factory settings". The link you were given is all about Windows Backup files where System Restore attempts to return the system to where it was a few days or a few weeks ago, the last restore point. This was that link again;
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

When you load Windows in Safe Mode using the Administrator account you then follow the guidance in that link to use Windows own backup through System Restore.

Mark

Collapse -
Oh right, sorry!
by sandy2409 / June 24, 2012 7:39 AM PDT

Oh right, sorry. I didn't know that. I think I'm using Windows XP Professional?

Okay, thank you. I will do that and see what comes from it. Thank you!

Collapse -
Windows XP Home Edition
by sandy2409 / June 24, 2012 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh right, sorry!

Sorry, the OS I am using is actually Windows XP Home Edition.

Collapse -
In that case
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 7:46 AM PDT

to use System Restore goto Start > All programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

When you click that, find the option to "Restore your system to an earlier point", and select a date/time before you installed this software from your phone.

Mark

Collapse -
Thank you!
by sandy2409 / June 24, 2012 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: In that case

Thank you!! I will see if that works now.

Sorry for any confusion!

Collapse -
Thank you
by sandy2409 / June 24, 2012 7:49 AM PDT

Thank you! I will see if that works.

Collapse -
Just tried
by sandy2409 / June 24, 2012 8:04 AM PDT

I've just tried it and it still loads with a black screen afterwards.

Collapse -
When this happens
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Just tried

When everything you try in Safe Mode fails then your options become severely limited.

The last option you can try is in the Safe Mode list of options called "Last known good configuration". This attempts to use a registry backup that was the last registry configuration to work.

If that fails then all you can try is a full system recovery which, if it works, reinstalls the OS, and that means you lose everything that is on there now.

Your manual should show you how to do that although you did seem to have found those options before, ie;

i)Completely Restore System to Factory Defaults
ii)Restore Operating System and Retain User Data
iii)Reinstall Drivers and Applications

But I see that you tried the first option anyway.

The link below may give more guidance, but frankly it is not looking good for this system and it may need a trip to the repair shop. Here is that link;

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/49m73-emachine-em350-turns-goes-onto-page-says.html

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
take ages to loads
by sandy2409 / June 24, 2012 11:33 PM PDT
In reply to: When this happens

Hi MarkFlax,

It can now load onto my account but it take ageeeeees to load and then takes forever to load up my taskbar and programme shortcuts on my desktop. What should I do?

Do the three options once it loads up?

Thank you

Collapse -
Your choice on the next steps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2012 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: take ages to loads

I've lost count of ways to tackle this but for the common user the fix is to backup your stuff to 2 or more places then restore to the factory load.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Try to wait?
by DaoUser / October 10, 2012 11:53 AM PDT

Hello,

I am having the same issue, having a black screen right after the windows logo...

I have been trying to do multiple things such as safe-mode, enable low resolution, etc...

But I have found out that it's just a "patience game", where you need to wait about 5-10 minutes before it actually loads. I have been trying to journalize my startup, without success.

Hope It helped!

Collapse -
ok,this might be an old thread but still-I HAVE SAME PROBLEM
by floydo97 / March 11, 2013 8:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Try to wait?

yeah so was just randomly browsing as usual,suddenly the windows tab was gone from the bottom and it looked as if it was shutting down,me thinking it may have been a virus of some sort tried the manual power button,ever since then,after w7 boot up the black screen of death with the cursor has appeared,gave up yesterday but today tried reinstalling w7 but needed some drive that i somehow dident have,plus as you may have already seen with this problem it does the same thing with safe mode as well,i know im just another poor soul added to the list,
but if somebody worked out a way to fix this,i would be eternaly greatfull

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.