Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Window 7 not installing

by dandred / July 27, 2011 11:34 PM PDT

Right, I've been running windows 7 for about a year and half so I want to re-install just to keep my computer running fresh..........

I've changed the boot menu to boot from disk in my BIOS, then I get the message, "press any key to boot from disk" next windows starts loading files, and then it takes my to a pale blue windowed themed screen with no icons and just a huge mouse arrow which I can move........

How can I get to screen that will ask my if I want to install windows?
What am I doing wrong?

This is a genuine windows DVD.

dandred has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Window 7 not installing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Window 7 not installing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by dandred

Collapse -
Are You Sure You've Got The BIOS Boot Order Correct?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 28, 2011 3:27 AM PDT

You don't want it to "boot from disc". You want it to "boot from DVD/CD drive". The DVD/CD drive may have a slightly different name in the BIOS but you should be able to determine that the DVD/CD drive boots FIRST in the order. "Boot from disc" is usually referring to booting from the hard drive.. On some computers, I've had to move the hard drive boot to the LAST of all the ordered items, making the DVD/CD drive First, second, then making the hard drive last.. It forces the system to look for the DVD/CD drive more than once.

Just confirming you have the settings correct..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) No, not so simple
by dandred / July 28, 2011 4:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
BIOS is correct, the firs priority is the cd/dvd drive
by dandred / July 28, 2011 4:31 AM PDT

I disabled all other boot options.

It should just go from boot from disk(cd/dvd) to windows set up, but it doesn't.....

Collapse -
In Such Cases Here...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 28, 2011 4:45 AM PDT

You're not doing anything wrong.. (To confirm, see the Microsoft instructions in the link below for performing the new install. Select the "Using the custom installation option and formatting the hard disc" link in the lower part of the page.):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

In your case, it's usually a problem with the DVD/CD drive failing to read the disc correctly, or the disc being bad. It's the reason we always make a backup copy of the disc and we always have an extra DVD drive to swap in for testing. Try using a separate DVD burner and burn a copy of the installation DVD.. Sometimes, you can get the drive to read a second disc when it wouldn't read the original.. No guarantees, but worth a shot.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.