Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Window 7 Another failed promise

by MorrisSouthHound / March 27, 2010 1:43 AM PDT

Although it is an improvement in certain areas such as graphical interface, it certainly does not do much as far as easy of use and "tweaking" compared to "XP".
The "search" to me is horrific and slow. The display of results is much to be desired. I would like to give an example but the next time I do a "search" I will take notes and post my opinion.
There are other annoyances which Microsoft has included into their system. To make changes to the things which should be optional are embedded by "default" and you have to go through "hoops" and search the internet for answers. Not every solution to the smallest annoyances can be applied.
Rather than go into detail and become irritable I will end my post here.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Window 7 Another failed promise
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Window 7 Another failed promise
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not in my book.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 27, 2010 5:35 AM PDT

Hi BellSouth Dog.

I deleted a post by another person. The comments were unhelpful and pointless, and has no place in these forums.

I have to say I am very pleased with my Windows 7, but of course, we are all entitled to our own views, and we don't all have the same experiences with it. So far, my experience is good, and I trust in time that yours will be too.

I don't bother too much about the graphical changes, like aero. They are flashy and nice, but mine is a working system, so I don't need that. In many ways Win 7 is still like XP, which in itself is like Windows 95. The start menu, Taskbar, Notification area, (where the clock is), and apart from small changes I like the way they have kept that, because it works for me.

Much of the change is deep down. Win 7 is a more secure system, (no doubt that will be tested), and so many of the changes are to help add to security. If we can't change settings so easily, then neither can hackers and malware.

I agree with you about the Search function. I have an idea why it is slow, but I haven't bothered to change mine yet. It may be because of Indexing. The Indexing Service is turned on by default, and it will take a long time for it to finish cataloging all the data. When it is done, search should be faster. If you want to, you can turn of the Indexing Service from the services console, and that might help speed up searches. I don't know about search display results, but I would guess we can specify how our searches are displayed.

There's a lot under the hood, and so far I am pleasantly surprised.

Mark

Collapse -
Why the post was deleted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 27, 2010 7:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Not in my book.

The "Neo-luddite, gerbil's arse, crotchety old man" was enough for me.

Whatever you feel Jimmy, comments like that have no place in these forums. If you want to contribute such language, try other forums where personal and abusive attacks are common and un-moderated.

If you cannot offer guidance or state your point of view in these forums without resorting to offensive and insulting comments, then the answer is simple. Don't.

Mark

Collapse -
Yup!
by Bob__B / March 27, 2010 8:02 AM PDT

Your lucky....at least you had the mid-way step of XP.

I jumped from w98>win7.....the OS from hell.

In the beginning I did a lot of searching+cussing.

As time has gone on I now find I do less searching+cussing.

I'm slowly adjusting the machine to do what I want it to do and how I want it to do it.

Maybe I should say I'm slowly adjusting my head to work with what MS has given me.

Yes the embedded stuff is annoying....I find myself becoming very friendly with google+services.

Collapse -
Well, just keep plugging away
by Steven Haninger / March 27, 2010 8:36 AM PDT

I've my disappointments as well but figure I'll eventually be better off in my life and in my work if I get a head start with Win7. I'd have to encourage you, if you don't do so already, to regularly read through relevant posts in these help forums as you'd be surprised by how much there is to gain by reading problems and solutions that you've yet to encounter...as some day you might. I'd gotten quite comfortable with XP and my initial experiences with 7 were not good but slowly I'll get there. I don't personally bother much with search functions. XPs search wasn't that wonderful, IMO, and the newest version I found worse than the old. But, no matter. You'll find by hanging around here that folks will find answers and happily share them. You're also going to find all levels of expertise here but not all will have good communications or "people" skills. Don't let that bug you too much. Good luck.

Collapse -
Just my opinion on Windows 7
by MorrisSouthHound / March 28, 2010 1:00 AM PDT

Who knew that just an opinion would cause just a stir? Am I allowed to share my view? (Please don't answer my questions). I haven't used a O.S. which is perfect and I don't expect perfection.
While waiting for Windows 7 to become available to the masses I was using Vista and as time went on I began to like the way it felt. All I am saying, all the "Hype" that was being said about the "new" O.S. did not meet MY expectations. Eventually when I raise myself above the little annoyances of my personal experiences with Windows 7, the little annoyances will be replaced with satisfaction.

Collapse -
Share your opinion? Of course.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 28, 2010 5:44 AM PDT

We have absolutely no problems with that.

Not everyone will like Windows 7, and it may not be the best for everyone. Even though I have a Win 7 laptop my main PC is Vista, and despite all the reported problems, I have had very few with this OS.

Good luck with your new operating system, and I hope you will get used to it eventually.

Mark

Collapse -
There's opinion
by Jimmy Greystone / March 28, 2010 8:46 AM PDT

There's opinion, and then there's pointless narcissistic whining. Call it a pet peeve, or whatever you want, but the latter annoys me.

Opinions have something to back them up. Some kind of reasoning, and evidence that there's a thought process behind it. It's not just a knee-jerk reaction after a couple hours or days. You don't have to agree with my view, I almost prefer it if you don't. I just want to see that you've put some thought into it. And, since there seems to be some confusion, I'm speaking in a generic sense here.

As an example... I'm sure this is bound to upset someone, and I'm not saying that everyone who associates themselves with this group espouses the same ideas, but take the whole "tea party" movement in the US. When you get down to it, the bulk of these people are just a bunch of intellectual children who don't want to pay taxes, but still want all those nifty government services that are PAID FOR by taxes. And this is setting aside the gross misrepresentation with their name. They try and make it out to be like the founders of the US were anti-tax, which is absolutely false. They were against taxation WITHOUT REPRESENTATION. If the King of England had given the colonists a few seats in Parliament, we'd still be an English colony. These people are against things like government run health care, but you'll have to pry that medicare card out of their cold dead fingers. (Medicare is a government program) Not to mention they absolutely LOVE all those highways and interstates, not to mention the subsidized gasoline prices that lets them fuel up their gas guzzling pickups and SUVs. A lot of these people basically just want all these nifty government services without having to pay for it, and it's rather childish.

That's a far cry from you saying that you do not like Windows 7 for this, this, and this reason. Then going on to explain each of those reasons. There's one final ever important component to all of this, and that's an open mind. A willingness to accept that maybe you missed something that takes care of one/some/all of your complaints. It's not just an infantile ranting for the sake of ranting. There's a reasoned thought process behind it, clear evidence of having explored the subject and some contingencies, then reaching a conclusion.

And I think if you go back and read your initial post in this topic, you'll understand why I might be a little annoyed with it. You can have whatever view you like. So long as you can back up your assertions with some kind of intelligent and reasoned argument, you can hold pretty much any opinion you want as far as I'm concerned.

Collapse -
hope it helps
by aron12345jack / March 28, 2010 1:40 AM PDT

hope it helps

Collapse -
To aron12345jack. Post deleted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 28, 2010 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: hope it helps

I deleted your post. You offered a link to a download accelerator utility.

That problem was not mentioned by the OP.

Mark

Collapse -
I have both Vista and Windows 7
by mopscare42 / March 28, 2010 8:19 AM PDT

I have been using Vista since the first day it was released and other than not having software and drivers for my printer and scanner the first month, I have never had any of the problems I have seen others comment on, such as the BSOD. I have had two in that time and they were both my fault.
I bought a laptop with Windows 7 on it and other than the ease of networking I really don't see that much difference. I still see software and driver problems just like Vista.
I like both versions of the OS and don't consider one better than the other and I will not be upgrading the Vista computer to Windows 7 for that reason.
I have seen remarks about not being able to network the two for printer and file sharing and other things along that line, but that is not true, they work very well together.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2010 9:34 AM PDT

This discussion is now closed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?