Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windos 98 SE error message at start up

by Tsany13 / October 31, 2004 9:59 PM PST

In the last 4 days when I turn my comp. on I get a message :"This program has performed illegal operation and will be shot down.... contact your vendor"
After closing the warning manually, the computer proceeds to work normally. How could I fix this?
In addition, for the last 3 mo. upon start up and before loading any programs, "Apple Quick start for Windows" covers the whole screen, asking me to install the program. After installing it, the same thing continues to show up and I cannot get rid of it.Closing the offer manually every time I start my comp. is beginning to get on my nerves.
Any help with this problems is appreciated.
Sonny

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windos 98 SE error message at start up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windos 98 SE error message at start up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The three troubleshooting articles.
by Kees Bakker / November 1, 2004 2:20 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: The three troubleshooting articles.
by Tsany13 / November 2, 2004 11:07 AM PST

Hi,
Thanks for the help. I will read all of the articles on the Windows start up problems, which you suggested and hopefully will be able to solve that problem, but the Apple Quick time for Windows is another story.
Even after installing the darned program, the same thing continued to happen: the whole screen covered with it and prompting me again to install. I uninstalled the existing one, same results. Very persistent program. I did find some info about it, indicating that it will be a very complicated task, and that was enough for me to give up, because my computer skills are very limited at best. I need a step by step instructions, or I will make a worse mess of it. Could you help?
Thanks

Sonny H.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) uninstall quicktime and check for spies.
by reefurbb / November 1, 2004 9:14 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: (NT) uninstall quicktime and check for spies.
by Tsany13 / November 2, 2004 10:04 AM PST

Hi,
I first installed the darned thing, hopping the "istall" prompt will dissapear from the startup screen, but the same thing happened over and over, then I removed the whole installation with "install uninstall" utility. No luck!! The same screen kept showing. I've tried everything I could think of and nothing did get rid of the annoying Quick time. HAVE ANY OTHER IDEAS? I will try anything.

Thanks for the responce

Sonny H.

Collapse -
Re: (NT) uninstall quicktime and check for spies.
by Merl Priester / November 2, 2004 10:48 PM PST

Go to
START -> RUN and type in MSCONFIG and press enter.
Go to the startup TAB and see what is tryin to load a startup.
Look for anything that may have anything related to quicktime.

You never stated if you looked for parasites.

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=adaware+SE&tg=dl-20&search.x=0&search.y=0&search=+Go%21+
From this site get Adaware SE, install it and let it do the update during install (you need to to on the net for this).
Run it and clean everythin it finds.

Also go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com
( You must use Interent Explorer) and run the online scanner.

Also try runnning
http://www.download.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=spybot+s%26d&tg=dl-2001&search.x=0&search.y=0&search=+Go%21+
Spybot, although I have had trouble getting it to work on some WIn98 machines lately.

Same as above, do the update before running.

Last, you could have a Windows installer problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
There is a cleaner on that page for the installer.
BE CAREFUL. Only remove items in teh installer list that pertain to your problem - quicktime. Read the page about what it does.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!