Windows 7 forum

Question

wind 7 pro

by nmgene / August 6, 2011 1:23 AM PDT

I upgraded to win 7 pro so I could run xp programs. I downloaded the program from mycrosoft they said I needed. Doesnt work!!! Wont run my xp programs. As usual Microsoft has ripped me off again with no instructions on how to make it work. Can anyone help with this

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wind 7 pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wind 7 pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There are two components
by Jimmy Greystone / August 6, 2011 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: wind 7 pro

There are two components you need to download. The first is the basic VM, the second is an image of XP that can be installed into that VM. Did you download AND install both? For that matter, did you bother to check whether or not you even NEEDED the XP Mode option for Windows 7? With rather few exceptions, almost every program that worked with XP will work just fine with 7. Most of those that don't can be coaxed into working with the built in compatibility mode settings that have been part of Windows since XP SP2. For those few remaining apps that still will not work, then you have XP Mode.

I really do fail to see how it's Microsoft's fault that you neglected to do your homework before purchasing however. Everything I said above has been pretty common knowledge since before Windows 7 was even released. It's not Microsoft's responsibility to make sure every single prospective customer is fully educated on every facet of their products. Microsoft can be blamed for a lot of things -- anti-competitive business practices, creating insecure programs, failing to respond adequately to problems like the RRoD on the early 360s, among others -- but this isn't one of them. This one is all on you.

Collapse -
windows 7
by nmgene / August 6, 2011 10:51 AM PDT

Microsoft has always released programs that didnt work properly then let the customer deal with the problems untill they figured out how to fix them. I upgraded to Pro as the instructions said it would allow me to use xp programs, then it told me I had to download vm which I did. It still does not work. Microsoft will sell you a $70 dollar book that tells you nothing as I am not a geek just a 60 year old who learned on a Commadore 64. Bill Gates is a dispicable crook, always has been always will be. When you buy a microsoft program you get a manual written in computer geek that the average person does not understand, so you fight with the program for months trying to learn how to use it. When you bought a Commadore program it came with a book written in plain english that took you through the program step by step. Bill Gates should be made to refund all of the money he has taken from the unsuspecting public.

Collapse -
Odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2011 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: windows 7

It works fine here but you are right. Average folk are not going to understand they need to download the 2 parts and won't read instructions.

It's also true folk don't want to know Bill Gates hasn't been at Microsoft for many years.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?