Computer Help forum

General discussion

Win98SE w/ MSCDplayer which recognizes both drives but sound only on

by tobeach / May 2, 2004 3:52 PM PDT

P3,256,40gs, DVDROM,CDRW,Nero5.5.
Unit came with Ms CD Player which when called up scans both drive E:DVDROM & D:PANACDRW. When I click play, running info shows cd playing on either drive but sound from speakers only emerges on drive E.
Drive letters were different until adding Nero which created currrent letters. Possible that Nero's (installed about 1 year ago)controlling CDRW ,is excluding player? note when Nero prog. active there is a button for "Play" in it's toolbar. Could RW only play thru there?
Wouldn't be a big prob but DVDROM is dying and would prefer to minimize use to program discs rather than burn remaining life on cds.
I also note that when clicking on my computer, all icons appear immediately EXCEPT Drive Icons a,c, d,e. These take about 10 seconds to appear (as if comp has to go looking for them).
Non techie so all advice welcome especially if step by step for dinosaur to follow. T I A!! Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win98SE w/ MSCDplayer which recognizes both drives but sound only on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win98SE w/ MSCDplayer which recognizes both drives but sound only on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Win98SE w/ MSCDplayer which recognizes both drives but sound only on

There might be a small cable between the CD-drive and the sound card. Of course, there is only one cable connected, so only one drive will be able to use it. Open the case and have a look.

It might make a difference if you set the drive to analog (instead of digital) playback in Device Manager.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Re:Win98SE w/ MSCDplayer which recognizes both drives but sound only on

Do as Kees says, but also be aware. Many motherboards only support 1 audio ouput. They may have 2 different
plug-ins to accomodate different TYPES of audio plugs, but only 1 will work at a time. Pulled my hair out over this at one time. Good luck. chuck

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Win98SE w/ MSCDplayer which recognizes both drives but sound only on

Thanks, Chuck! Makes logical sense to me but I no nothing about the inner workings of these things, although I did once manage to blow myself across the room working on a live electrical panel and later another room trying to light a gas oven (thought it had auto- lite circuit) which fried alot of hair (LOL) !!!! Happy

Collapse -
Re:Re:Win98SE w/ MSCDplayer which recognizes both drives but sound only on

Thanks for quick reply, Kees. Since cd player can read and display from either drive, I gussed it must place itself as a traffic director after drives but before the soundcard. Then Nero must place itself in same area to be able to direct signal from cd playing in DVD to CDRW for burning.

After weeks of e-mails with Nero techs, one of the problems turned out to be that both drives had to be the same (ie: both digital or both analogue) and I had one of each. Found both digital eliminated buffer under-runs which I had previously.

I've never looked inside a computer (especially someone elses) but since OEM went out of business (no more warranty worries) and good dusting of inside needed plus probably needing new DVDROM & its set up along with first First reformat about due....maybe best let pro have at it for a day!! Thanks again! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.