Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WIN98II requires update

by susaneb63 / February 26, 2010 5:51 AM PST

First, I apologize if this has been answered, I looked and couldn't find it.

I am trying to install a wireless USB adapter which is asking for WIN98SE. I tried to install WIN98SE but the computer is stating that it needs WIN98 update instead. I have scoured online not finding a file specifically (yet vaguely) named "WIN98 update". IT seems there are SO MANY update files...how does one know which one to use?

I even tried going to the vendor's site to download the software to accommodate my OS...but their file was corrupt or missing some nuts and bolts.

Please advise before I pull out what's left of my hair...

Thank you so very much!!!

Susan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WIN98II requires update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WIN98II requires update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Last shot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2010 6:24 AM PST
Collapse -
"Last shot"
by susaneb63 / February 26, 2010 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: Last shot.

Thank you...I will try to find the answer there. I did email the vendor and got a reply...they gave me the same link on their site where the corrupted file came from. And I downloaded from a different machine. Thanks a lot for your answer. I will post the result.

*My only "fuzzy spot" was not (and still not) knowing exactly "which" update file the comp needs...it didn't specify.

Susan

Collapse -
Update or Upgrade?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2010 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: "Last shot"

"I tried to install WIN98SE but the computer is stating that it needs WIN98 update"

When I read that, I wondered if that last word was incorrect. The links cover how to deal with this issue.

Sorry, let's be clear I know of no one that downloaded any UPDATE to fix the wifi issue you are attempting to fix. All have to UPGRADE to 98SE or go find some other adapter.
Bob

Collapse -
Update or Upgrade...
by susaneb63 / February 26, 2010 7:28 AM PST
In reply to: Update or Upgrade?

Bob,

You read correctly. I tried to install Encore wireless USB adapter that asked for WIN98 SE to be installed. I tried to install WIN98 SE and my machine said it couldn't install that file...it then asked for the WIN98 update instead.

And since I can't seem to locate that mysterious file I then emailed the vendor. They think that their site download is error free.

And in the specs for the product I found that the product works on WIN98 SE but the box itself just says WIN98...

And people ask me why I say Murphy ('s Law) is my evil twin...

Thanks for your help Bob!

Susan

Collapse -
If you are trying to install Windows 98SE
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2010 8:46 AM PST
In reply to: Update or Upgrade...

The fix for that message for years has been to rename that file.

Sorry I can't make it clearer than that.
Bob

Collapse -
A Solution
by otr_man / July 31, 2010 2:42 AM PDT

For the future benefit of anyone who happens across this thread, and is as baffled by it as I initially was...

When Windows 98 Second Edition was released, Microsoft issued both upgrade and update versions of it. The update one only worked if you had Win98 First Edition installed. The upgrade one worked if you had ANY Windows versions earlier than Win98 Second Edition installed (i.e. whether you had First Edition, or Windows 95, or Windows 3.1).

In both those cases, you ended up with Windows 98 Second Edition.

So if you're currently upgrading from Win98 first edition, there are two safe ways to do it: you can safely use either the upgrade CD or the update CD.

However, the upgrade CD was not intended to be an upgrade from Win 98 first edition, only from Windows 3.1 or Windows 95. If you have 98 first edition, you have to rename the file WIN.COM (which is all that the installation program looks for), thus fooling it into thinking that you've actually got Windows 95 installed.

So boot into DOS, and rename the file WIN.COM (in the directory C:\WINDOWS), before you start. It doesn't matter what you name it to (try naming it WIN.OLD as most people used to do).

If you buy the full install CD, which is the third product Microsoft used in launching Win98 Second Edition, that version deletes your existing Windows installation (the folder C:\Windows and everything in it), and installs the new version: thereby deleting all your customized settings, instead of preserving them.

This is how you get a clean install (which you might want if you have a badly corrupted or damaged installation of Win98 first edition). Once again, because you already have a version of Windows installed, you fool the installation program into thinking you have NO existing version of Windows, by renaming the file WIN.COM (as above), which is the only file the installation program looks for.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?