Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Win98 need a key

by fasted / November 25, 2003 7:34 PM PST

Installed win98
at the end of install, it ask for a product key.
if I had one, i do not have on now.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win98 need a key
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win98 need a key
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Win98 need a key
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2003 8:12 PM PST
In reply to: Win98 need a key

The Forum policy at http://reviews.cnet.com/4002-7600_7-5082963.html writes "sharing or distributing viruses, licenses, registration information, software keys, "cracks," or other information designed to do harm to or allow unlawful access to any computer hardware, software, networks, or any other systems. Please refrain from posting this kind of message."

To obtain a key, you'll have to call the owner of the software or in this case Microsoft.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Win98 need a key
by fasted / November 26, 2003 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Win98 need a key

Thanks for the info
P.S.
I was not looking for someone to give me the key.
just asking, what and where, i can get it
Again Thank You.

Collapse -
Here you go.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2003 8:14 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:Win98 need a key
http://www.google.com/search?&q=%22Windows+98+SE%22+full+product

It's unlikely Microsoft will sell you this version. And you didn't reveal if you registered with Microsoft when you installed it. With what little you wrote, you may have to pick through the lists above and hope that you can obtain the product and key from someone local.

Bob
Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 26, 2003 12:37 AM PST

Fasted,

The normal location for the Win98 "Certificate of Authentication" product key is on the outside of the Windows 98 "Getting Started" product booklet/manual that comes with the CD... or occasionally on the back of the Windows 98 CD case.

It is always a good idea to write down the product key BEFORE reinstalling Windows 98 as the product key, if lost, can be found from the original installation in the registry. (I have had to do this a few times when users wanted to reinstall their perfectly legal Windows 98 CD, but they tossed the booklet that contained the key number.) It's normally located at this path "HKEY Local Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version" then look for the "Product Key" listing.

Unfortunately, if you've lost the key, or not written down the correct one PRIOR to reformatting and attempting to reinstall Win98, then you will need to contact Microsoft to get the correct one.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Hi Grif:
by Patricia / December 19, 2003 2:12 AM PST

I copied and pasted this information into a folder where I keep such things, and saved it to a floppy, just in case. I DO have my book, discs, etc., but thought that would be good information to keep.

I went into regedit and did not find a listing for product key, following the path given. At the bottom of the regedit page, there is a similar path using _ instead of \. I also looked in there, but did not find a listing for product key. I opened quite a few other folders that I thought could contain that info, but no results. Any further thoughts on what path I should be following?

Now, I have a use for that information. My daughter has been given a computer by a friend who has bought a newer fancy one. She has the discs for some of the software, but does not have the book. She would like to reformat the hard drive and get rid of all the junk that has been put into that computer and then re-install only the software she wants. It, too, is Win 98. The computer isn't running all that great and starting from scratch would be a good idea. She knows how to reformat and re-instal as she has done it twice with her computer.

We both need to do all the updates on our computers in the next week or so, before the support runs out for 98.

In the meantime, the computer is usable. Any further instructions on finding that "key"?

I'm really sorry to see how little this forum is being used. Maybe it will pick up, or maybe all the hassles have been too much for the forum users. It's certainly fast.

Thanks, as always. Happy

Pat

Collapse -
Pat, It's There...Try This
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 19, 2003 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Grif:

Once again, follow the path that I recommended:

"HKEY Local Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version".

Instead on clicking on the + sign next to "Current Version", click directly on the folder. It should display the listings on the right side. Look for the "Product Key" listing.

Check the link below. It says the same thing:

Windows 98 Product Key Code Location In Registry

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Pat, It's There...Try This
by Patricia / December 19, 2003 8:03 AM PST

Terrific Grif: That made the difference. I'll pass this along to her and she can get that out of the machine before doing anything to it. I went in and looked at my number and compared it to that on the book.

The one she was given is not a really bad machine, but was not a particularly good one from the beginning, but it will be fine for my daughter and her teenage sons to have an extra computer. They, of course, all want the computer at the same time. Happy

Thanks Grif.

Pat

Collapse -
(NT) Good Job & Glad We Could Help !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 19, 2003 8:05 AM PST

Collapse -
Product ID...
by DN84 / June 12, 2006 4:14 AM PDT

When I followed the path line I found my WinXP Product ID. It contains "OEM".

What does "OEM" mean?

Why do OEM Product Keys appear to be different than Installation Product Keys?

What are the numeric equivalent to the letters "OEM"?

What all can I do with this OEM Product Key? And what all can I not do with it?

What all will I be able to do if I convert the OEM to it's numerical equivalent?

Collapse -
OEM Product Keys
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 12, 2006 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Product ID...

On the older "name-brand" Windows 98 machines, many of the Product keys contained the letters OEM, meaning Orignal Equipment Manufacturer.. There is NO numerical equivalent to change it to. The alpha-numeric characters are supposed to be there just as they are.

You can only use the OEM product key as the EULA (End User License Agreement) dictates... If I remember correctly, the license agreement file on Windows 98 is named: "EULA.txt". Generally, the preinstalled OEM licenses are only to be used on the original machine it was installed on.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
OEM...
by John.Wilkinson / June 12, 2006 6:27 AM PDT

First, what you want is the Product Key, not the Product ID. Those are two separate things...the Product ID identifies your copy of Windows while the Product Key unlocks it during activation. In order to find that, I suggest running Magical Jellybean Key Finder.

Now, OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. In short, it's a version of Windows that was supplied by Microsoft to your computer's manufacturer under a bulk license. It has likely been customized by the manufacturer to include their logos and any software they like to bundle, usually including a free trial of internet security software.

There are a couple main differences that set OEM software apart from Retail copies:

1.) All support comes from the computer's manufacturer, not Microsoft. This isn't necessarily good since Microsoft will refuse to help you and the computer's manufacturer usually doesn't have enough knowledge of Windows to resolve all issues.

2.) You usually won't have the standard Repair option, in which you can repair Windows without losing your programs and personal files. However, the manufacturer may include their non-destructive repair option.

3.) The license is only valid on that specific computer. If you replace the motherboard or make any other significant hardware changes the license is voided except under special circumstances. A retail license, on the other hand, can be transferred to another computer with a little phone call to Microsoft.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
John, If I Remember Correctly...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 12, 2006 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: OEM...

...On Windows 9.x, the Product ID IS the actual authorization number needed to install the operating system and neither Windows 95 or 98 required "activation" like XP.(I have a Windows 95 CD in front of me at this time and it has the OEM designation in the alpha-numeric characters and it's labeled "Product ID".) This discussion as well as "Knightly's" post are about the older Windows 9.x operating systems and the need for the Windows product key/ID to install the program.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Knightly Jedi has Windows XP...
by John.Wilkinson / June 12, 2006 7:19 AM PDT

It's been a while since I installed 95/98, but I do recall the simpler times with 95/98. However, while Knightly Jedi responded to a question about Windows 98, he wrote in the first line that he has Windows XP, which would mean he does need to track down a product key.

John

Collapse -
You're Right, I Made Incorrect Assumptions...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 12, 2006 8:10 AM PDT

..and didn't read his post carefully..

I was curious why someone would post to a 2 1/2 year old thread and my eyes apparently crossed in the meantime????

Thanks for keeping me straight.

Grif

Collapse -
Product Key...
by DN84 / June 12, 2006 4:19 PM PDT

So is there any way I can locate the Product Key to my WinXP?

Collapse -
Re: product key in windows XP
by Kees Bakker / June 12, 2006 4:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Product Key...
Collapse -
The Print Option...
by DN84 / June 12, 2006 10:22 PM PDT

Thank you guys.

Does Belarc have the print option?

Collapse -
Re: Belarc print option.
by Kees Bakker / June 12, 2006 11:45 PM PDT
In reply to: The Print Option...

Belarc makes an html-file and opens it in your default browser. So the question is: does your default browser have a print option? My guess: yes.

Kees

Collapse -
ProductKey and ProductID
by Kees Bakker / June 12, 2006 6:34 AM PDT

These are different thingsOn my Windows 98, the id is 91981-OEM-0010181-71613 and the key is a string of 25 letters and digits, in 5 pieces of 5 characters, like AJ819-KAJ18-JA871-7615F-716A5L (both are fake, of course). No need to convert the one into the other. I think the ID identifies the CD, while the key identifies the license. So all ProductID's are different.

OEM, by the way, means Original Equipment Manufacturer. These are the Dell's and HP's of this world. And they get Windows cheaper, because they do the support (not Microsoft) but the license is only valid on the machine it comes with.
So a CD with OEM in it, is sold by Microsoft to an OEM and he sells it to you.

In WinXP it might be different again. I didn't look at the registry there.

Kees

Collapse -
by David Chan / November 26, 2003 4:12 AM PST

This info is more for future use...

Before you format and reinstall the OS you can run Belarc Advisor which will audit your PC and produce a HTML page will all the info including your Windows CD Key.
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Collapse -
Question about Belarc...
by Sheila / December 2, 2003 9:54 PM PST

I was curious about the site you mentioned in your post so I went there.

I am still learning about my computer after 3 years.

Is this something we should have "just in case"?

Thanks,
Sheila

Collapse -
Re:Question about Belarc...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 3, 2003 12:20 AM PST

Sheila,

The Belarc "Advisor" gives you information about your computer. Among other things, it lists all the currently installed programs and program updates as well as describes the hardware installed. If you don't have that information currently, the program is extremely helpful. Going to the web page that David supplied, then clicking on the "Download Now" button in the upper left will allow you to download a file called "Advisor.exe" to your desktop. Once it's there, scan it with your antivirus (just to be sure), then shut down all background programs, especially your antivirus, and double click on the file. You'll need to agree to a license, then the program will quickly install and determine that computer's profile. A web page will open and list all the computer information. In addition, I believe it puts a shortcut to the advisor on the desktop. At that point, it would be a good idea to print it all out, as a permanant record..

Belarc gives you needed information about your computer. You can use it now to make maintenance and repair choices, or later, in case of problems. Most importantly, it's just good information for a computer user to know.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Re:Question about Belarc...
by Sheila / December 4, 2003 3:01 AM PST

As always, you folks are the best. Thanks for the explanation. I will try the download.

Thanks again,
Sheila

Collapse -
(NT) Sheila, Glad We Could Help & Keep Up The Safe Computing !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 4, 2003 6:16 AM PST

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.