General discussion

Win98 Antivirus. Asking for your urgent recommendations

I have almost completed the configuration and basic SW installation for the laptop my grandson will be using. I could not afford something better than the IBM Thinkpad 390E type 2060OEG I already have. It has a PII processor with 128 KB RAM.The OS is Win98 FE (German), with all the updates I could find in the update page of Microsoft. I cannot upgrade the OS in this moment, due to my own practical reasons.

But something very important is still missing: a suitable antivirus. Right now it seems that the main vendors are no longer supporting this OS and the few that still do, such as Norman, have requirements this machine does not fulfill. And I believe that a laptop with internet access and no antivirus installed will not survive the hostile environment of the present WWW for much time, particularly in the hands of a child.

I need your recommendations about a suitable Antivirus, that could run on this Win98FE laptop without consuming too many resources. Of course I can pay for the program, it is not necessary that it be free.

I thank you in advance for your most valuable help.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Win98 Antivirus. Asking for your urgent recommendations
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Win98 Antivirus. Asking for your urgent recommendations
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: antivirus for Windows 98

The minimum system requirements for avast! home edition seem to be:
For a computer running Windows

- Collapse -
Support beyond 2008?

Thank you. I think I had not considered it as an option because they display a warning saying that compatibility with Win98 will last only until end December 2008 (that is tomorrow!). But I may be wrong so I will check again.

- Collapse -
Avast seemes to be OK

I installed Avast 4.8 home edition and everything seems to be OK.
Thank you for your suggestion.

- Collapse -
"a PII processor with 128 KB RAM.

Many PII CPUs came with that much L2 CACHE. Maybe you meant MB?

- Collapse -
Yes, sorry

The installed RAM is 128 MB

- Collapse -
spend $50

and find anewer PC on ebay or amazon, with xp, like an old office workstation it will save you hassle later on

- Collapse -
Spend ZERO?

I see such machines on Freecycle every week or two.

- Collapse -
Laptops for free or @ 50$

Glad to know you can get hese Thinkpads for almost nothing or just nothing in your place. It's not the same here; anyway I already have one and what I was looking for was a suitable antivirus. I?ve already got Avast and it is working OK.

- Collapse -
Sorry.

I don't want them. In fact I gifted two our recently but only slightly less than your P2 unit. Just a pair of i233mmx laptops with 64 and 96 MB ram. Both had WIFI so they vanished fast.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info