HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows 7 forum

Question

Win7/Dell desktop/won't load google.com/Vista laptop will

by wheelwinner / August 10, 2011 7:38 AM PDT
Hi all ~

I am beyond frustrated since Google gmail won't load on my Dell desktop using either Explorer or Mozilla Firefox but I have no problem with my Acer laptop which has Vista (both 64 bit home premium). I have uninstalled and reinstalled both browsers with no change. Of course Chrome is useless since NO google pages will load.

Using Norton 360 v5 as virus software for both ... network set up by a professional (linksys 3000). This was NOT a problem until about 3 weeks ago. Someone advised temporarily shutting off Norton firewall but result was the same (I think that was to prove it wasn't Norton).

Comcast is my high speed computer connection but I can't imagine that IT is the problem since my laptop works fine [as does my new Vizio tablet].

I am really bad at troubleshooting ... cnet is where I come when I am in trouble. I absolutely do not know what to do. If any one has some SIMPLE instructions or ideas for how to fix this, I will be very greatful [don't assume I know anything]. I am ready to call in a tech since I don't seem able to find the cause and am ready to cry.

Thanks again to all who respond. grammy annie
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win7/Dell desktop/won't load google.com/Vista laptop will
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win7/Dell desktop/won't load google.com/Vista laptop will
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2011 7:46 AM PDT
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic70435.html found spyware. Most folk NEVER come back to say it worked.

I'd dismiss Norton and take Grif's advice for second opinion scans from 7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

Also, feel free to post a hijackthis log if you want. While we don't do that here, I will look it over.
Bob
Collapse -
IT'S FIXED!
by wheelwinner / August 11, 2011 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Link, comment.
Dear Bob ~

I tried to follow the steps that were outlined but they were just too complicated for me.

I did install Malwarebytes and run it with no threats found. So today I went back into Norton 360 and used HELP ... it offered to install and run NORTON POWER ERASER which I agreed to. I did not run it with ROOTKITS included since I have no idea what that is.

Bottom line: It found and removed "hosts" ... a DNS entry ... said it was BAD. As I indicated when I first posted, I have absolutely no idea what any of that is or how it got on my computer ... but Norton 'fixed and removed it' and now Google works in every browser the way it did before.

If you can explain the above in very simple terms, I would appreciate the explanation as it's why I come here in the first place: to be educated.

BTW: I have no idea what a highjackthis log is either!

Ann
Collapse -
Good to read it was the HOSTS file.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2011 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: IT'S FIXED!

But without seeing the file I can't tell why it had entries in it that were bad. In short the HOSTS file is consulted before the internet so if there is a bad entry, it wins.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.