General discussion

Win7 and problem with files

emachine with win7 64x. Windows Business office 2000. Word and excel work as they should when accessed from the main hard drive. When I access either from an external hard drive it becomes a read only file it can be saved but only by giving it another name. These files on the external hard drives are not in read only format. If I copy a file from an external hard drive to the main hard drive it behaves normally. I?ve just discovered that image files cannot be changed without changing the name. These files on the external hard drives where all done using XPsp3. Any file that is created on the main hard drive and saved on the external hard drive works as it should and even more curious any file created on an external hard drive and the cut and pasted onto the main hard drive and the copied back to an external hard drive works as it should. Is there any way to fix this so that the external hard drive files work properly without my first cutting and pasting them into the main hard drive and then back again to the external hard drive? Were are looking at 50GB of files.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Win7 and problem with files
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Win7 and problem with files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Or.

Or the external drive is FAT32. I'd test if that's the issue by changing the external to NTFS.
Bob

- Collapse -
Just checked

The external hard drive is NTFS

- Collapse -
Then its a bug.

It could be that Norton AV bug but you could test that. And I doubt any fix will be arriving soon as it's over a decade now. I can write that this has not been seen at our office which has Office 2003, 2007 and a few on 2010.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7programs/thread/edb68f23-47ce-4a93-a713-94dfdca16560 repeats this with notable fixes for Outlook 2000 (wab issue) but folk seem stymied (can't find) on the Word 2000 issue.

The one thing here is it doesn't appear to be working in Windows 7 32 bit either.

What some do note is that XP MODE is OK.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info