HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Win32fix

by Keep_it_simple / November 22, 2005 12:36 AM PST

Win32fix

Good morning.
I have been receiving these notification boxes that pop up quite frequently (greyish box) that say;

Stop what you are doing. We have found critical errors that need your immediate attention. Please type in this link and follow instructions. Something to do with Win32fix.com....then it says to instal the registry, RUN the registry, and then REBOOT...Is this a something that is legit or could I may have something infecting my computer and if so, is there a site I can download that can fix this?

The other box that pops up says:
Important Security Bulletin; Buffer overrun in Messenger...It says to download this certain patch (updatepatch.info),,,it says to copy the link into your browser, it will disappear and then restart your computer... it gives me a list of the infected software and the only one not on the list is Windows Millenium edition...Please help as I use my computer for my business and I also have kids who I do not want to click on this by mistake.
Please help out as I am not really sure if I should be concerned or not...
Thank you so much for any help that you provide. Have a great day.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win32fix
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win32fix
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A noted WORM. Link
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 12:51 AM PST
In reply to: Win32fix
Collapse -
I do hope...
by thought_stazi / November 22, 2005 12:57 AM PST

That you haven't actually gone to any of these links yet. If you have, back up all important data, and reformat the computer immediately. There's no telling what may have been placed on your system, but there's one easy way to be sure to get rid of everything.

Second, are you keeping up with security patches via Windows Update? If not, why not? Do you have a virus scanner, and is it kept up to date? If not, why not? Do you do anything to protect yourself against spyware? If so, what?

Third... A few suggestions... It's not a wise idea to let your kids play with a computer used for business. You can go dumpster diving or check around on placed like eBay for perfectly suitable, and cheap, systems you can let your kids use. You really should have a business computer, and an everything else computer, so that your financial livelyhood is a considerably less risk due to unintentional mishaps at the hands of your kids.

So, as soon as we have some more details about your system, we can go about trying to fix things.

Collapse -
Win32fix
by Keep_it_simple / November 22, 2005 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: I do hope...

I have not clicked on any of the links so no worries there...
As far as the kids using the computer that I use for business, I just started my business and they are monitored at all times as I sit with them always and never are they alone on it...I have purchased a computer for the for Christmas and can't really give it to them early as it just wouldn't be the same...lol
I am running Windows XP Pro..I do try to keep up with the updates but sometimes it will tell me that one may not have been updated for some reason or another. I do have Norton...I do have one question about Ad-Aware? Is it safe to instal.? It is ome site called lavasoft? Someone just mentioned it to me and said I should have that for scanning the pc...

I just tried to click on the trend micro link that someone just posted a few minutes ago and it will not let me go to the site...not sure why...

Thanks for the advice and anything else would greatly be appreciated...

Collapse -
Win32 Fix
by hpjohn11 / November 22, 2005 1:35 AM PST

After you get this cleaned up,I suggest that you purchase a second hard disk. You can get one cheap at newegg.com. They are OEM which means they do not come with instructions or cables. Cables are cheap. Make sure you get the same type you have in your computer. That is:IDE or Sata. GET SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO INSTALL IT CORRECTLY. Then you will need Ghost or some way to copy one disk to another. I suggest go to STAPLES on Black Friday November 25, 2005 at 6AM. 6:15 is too late. They are all gone. Buy Norton System Works Priemier 2006 32 bit for $69.95. and you will get mail in rebates for $70.00. This has Ghost in it and Norton AntiVirus for 2006. Do not use their cleanup. You can get this out by Reinstalling it again and using MODIFY. Also check all the boxes in Utilities. Ghost will copy one Disk to another. Next time you have trouble simply copy the second disk to the first in about 5 minutes and you are back in business.

Collapse -
Some worms block such to prevent easy removal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 2:01 AM PST

Time to get on the internet somewhere else to get the removal instructions.

Collapse -
Lavasoft's AdAware
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 3:47 AM PST

is a genuine anti-adware program, and many use it and recommend it. I do too.

It seems that you are missing a few security utilities.

You need utilities to prevent hacking, stop viruses, stop spyware and stop adware.

1] Hackers - go get a firewall. There are many good free ones about, and the best at the moment is ZoneAlarm from http://www.zonelabs.com

2] Anti-virus - You say you have Norton, but what is it, Norton's anti-virus or Norton's Security Suite? If it is Norton's anti-virus, have you updated its virus definitions lately, and have you run a scan recently?

If it is Norton's Security Suite then you already have a firewall and do not need another one. That is, if it is turned on!

3] Anti-Spyware - There are a number of good free anti-spyware programs available, (but unfortunately there are also some rogue programs around. Check before you dive in).

The latest one recommended on these forums is Ewido Security Suite from http://www.ewido.com which is free and fully functional for the first 14 days, then free with some minor limitations afterwards.

There are also Spybot - Search & Destroy, and SpywareBlaster.

4] Anti-Adware - Lavasoft's AdAware is good.

All of these, (except the firewall), need their definitions updated regularly, and in particular the anti-virus needs updating daily or 2 or 3 times a week.

May I suggest you turn off your Messenger, unless you really need it. Go here for a ''Shoot the messenger'' utility;
http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

It is a Windows messenging program that allows adware and other nasties into your system, and needs to be disabled.

When you get all the malware out of your system, go an get all of the Windows Updates. You really need them, Happy

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Win32fix
by Keep_it_simple / November 22, 2005 4:55 AM PST
In reply to: Lavasoft's AdAware

I just wanted to say thanks to all that replied to my much needed help earlier. I am going to try a few of the suggestions out and see if I can somehow fix my problem. Any help is greatly appreciated and I thank you.
Have a great day

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.