Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

win32 hantaner a virus

by nina41 / April 23, 2004 12:43 AM PDT

Can someone please tell me how to remove this virus? I am running windows xp, and have tried bit defender, avg, panda, mcaffee and none of these will remove this virus from my system. I did turn off the xp firewall, and also shut down the system restore, and it will not allow me to remove or even move it. I know it is in my internet temporary files folder but I cannot even get access to this folder. Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: win32 hantaner a virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: win32 hantaner a virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:win32 hantaner a virus
by Marianna Schmudlach / April 23, 2004 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: win32 hantaner a virus
Collapse -
Re:win32 hantaner a virus
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 23, 2004 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: win32 hantaner a virus

Nina,

If you know the location and file name of the infected file, try restarting the computer into 'Safe Mode" using the instructions below, then run a full system scan with your onboard antivirus and see if the program will delete it now. If it doesn't, try manually searching for the file, then RIGHT click on the file and delete it. And if that doesn't do it, try opening a "command prompt" window (Click on Start-Run, type: "cmd" (without the quotes), then press the "Enter" key) and delete it manually using the "command prompt" window.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Re:win32 hantaner a virus
by nina41 / April 25, 2004 4:59 AM PDT

Okay, without sounding too stupid, when I get into the command prompt window, what do I type to delete the folder or files? I am not very good in dos. Thank you.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:win32 hantaner a virus
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 25, 2004 11:16 AM PDT

Nina,

Restart in to Safe Mode like this:

Restart the computer, pressing the F8 key once per second, till it loads a selection screen. Use the up and down arrows to select "Safe Mode", press enter, and the computer will load into a safe mode. It looks like a normal screen but with Safe Mode in each of the four corners. When you?re done, restart the machine and it will boot normally.

You should now try to empty the Temporary Internet Files folder by clicking on Start-Control Panel, then double click on the "Internet Options" icon. ON the General" tab, click on "Delete Files" button, make sure to place a CHECK mark in the "Delete all offline files" when the little window loads, then click on OK. Now click on the "Delete Cookies' button. Restart the computer and see if that removes the infected file.

If not, then reboot into Safe Mode again to remove it from the command prompt.

Next, click on Start-Run, type "cmd" (without the qutoes), then press the "Enter" key. When the command window loads, it should be showing this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username> (where "username" is your computer log in name). There should be a flashing cursor at the end of the line. Now type so the entire line looks like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username>cd local settings\temporary internet files\content.IE5 then press the "Enter" key and it should look like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username>Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5>

Now type so the entire line looks like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username>Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5>del *.* then press the "Enter" key.

If it's successful, then it will simply revert back to the same line you were looking at previously. If it's not successful, then you will get an error message. Restart the computer and it will boot into "normal" Windows.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.