Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Win2K SCSI mirror drive? Advise:)

by zingzong1 / January 7, 2006 9:08 AM PST

Hello,
I have an IBM intellistation M Pro 6894. I run Maya on it. I believe the HD is a SCSI. I want to use the Norton software to make a back up of the HD and put that away in storage.

Then install a second HD.

How do I figure out the SCSI HD current speed and does the mirror drive need to be the same?

Any/all advice would be of great help, because I am a Mac user but PCs rule when it comes to Maya.
Thanks
Dan
madmanmagic@mac.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win2K SCSI mirror drive? Advise:)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win2K SCSI mirror drive? Advise:)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How do I figure out the SCSI HD current speed?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2006 12:06 AM PST

"How do I figure out the SCSI HD current speed and does the mirror drive need to be the same?"

There is not enough in your post for exact answers, but here's the direction I would take.

1. As to speed. I watch to see if a SCSI BIOS is available and in those screens I look for the speed.

2. SCSI is a dangerous thing for the new SCSI configurators (you?) You get to learn all the various SCSI cable schemes, 50 and more cable types and what TERMINATION was used or is it the newer types? But the answer is that the new drive should be the same interface (SCSI encompasses some dozen types and speeds) and if the same interface, the higher speed is fine and will work.

3. Installing a new drive will stress a non-SCSI guru. So keep your head attached and keep researching.

-> My advice? Unless its a newer whizbang beyond ultrafast SCSI, I'd pop in some IDE drive, clone the drive over, remove the SCSI drive and cable then repair the OS on the IDE drive.

Believe it or not, when I do this, boot times drop and the machine runs faster than with those older SCSI drives.

Bob

Collapse -
Thank You for the input...
by zingzong1 / January 8, 2006 10:15 PM PST

I will follow your advice. I am not sure I need teh SCSI HD or not. I am running Maya as I've said, the only time I play back realtime full resolution or at least NTSC resolution is to check a finished animation.
I have a Wildcat card for 3D and need to find out if the realtime performance of that card is dependent upon the fast SCSI drive.

Again I truly appreciate the help!
Dan

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!