General discussion

Win XP will not run

I do not know what has happened, but my Toshiba Tecra lap top, which has been running fine, now decides to turn itself off, that's even if it fires up in the first place.

It will run in safe mode, for as long as I need it on. Does not close down at all.

Any suggestions as to what to do next?

Thanks

Colin

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Win XP will not run
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Win XP will not run
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just one question.
- Collapse -
Yes

It was done about 3 months ago. But would that make a difference if it runs in Safe mode?

Colin

- Collapse -
Explainer.

In safe mode drivers and more are running slowly and not taxing the machine. I've seen this for years where folk would "prove" that the drivers were buggy. And I would "prove" it wasn't so by cleaning the machine and refreshing heat sink compound and making sure heat sinks were on proper.

Let's say you are right. A fresh install from the restore media should clear it right up.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info