General discussion

Win XP, Sound on Startup, No Sound in XP Environment

sysinfo
Dell Dimension 4700
Windows XP
Soundcard - SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio CC80

Hi.

I recently reinstalled Windows XP onto my computer, over an existing -- damaged -- installation of XP, on the C: drive. I was warned at the outset of the installation that proceeding could cause some components to function improperly. After the installation, there were 5 "Other Devices" listed in the Device Manager, which I believe were my video card, my audio card (2 separate entries), my ethernet controller, and something else that I don't remember. On another computer, I downloaded the appropriate driver for the ethernet controller, and then installed the driver on the Dimension (which granted me internet access). Following this, I updated all the drivers in the Other Devices category by allowing Windows to search the internet for the most recent drivers. Now no devices appear in the Other Devices category.

The problem is that I can't get any sound out of my speakers, once the Windows environment has loaded. However, on startup, when the Windows blue screen loads, the greeting jingle we all know and love projects out of my speakers, but then once I'm in the XP environment I can't get any sound to play. Any solutions?

If it matters, I assume my video card is working properly because I'm able to load the Starcraft II beta and run it in high-res (1280x1024), but only with 32-bit colors (as opposed to 64-bit colors), otherwise there is a tremendous amount of lag.

Thanks diaphragmatic postulates.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Win XP, Sound on Startup, No Sound in XP Environment
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Win XP, Sound on Startup, No Sound in XP Environment
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Ouch.

Repairing Windows like that is never a sure thing. Go ahead and check what the default speakers are one last time.

"I updated all the drivers in the Other Devices category by allowing Windows to search the internet for the most recent drivers."

That is something that I never found to work. The OLD FASHIONED find and install the drivers worked better for me.

Good luck!
Bob

- Collapse -
Re: Ouch

Hey Bob,

Thanks for your reply; I should clarify something though. When I said that no devices appear under the Other Devices category, I may have been a bit misleading. What I meant to say was the video, audio, and ethernet drivers no longer appear in the Other Devices category, but they DO appear in the device categories they are supposed to appear in. It's not like they've vanished after allowing Windows to update the drivers via the internet.

- Collapse -
"It's not like they've vanished after allowing Windows to up

"It's not like they've vanished after allowing Windows to update the drivers via the internet."

That method of updating is not reliable. Do the driver installs the old fashioned way.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info