Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Win XP Search Problem

I run Win XP SP1 & Office XP SP2. When I use Search in Windows Explorer to find files, folders or text, a dialog box opens telling me to insert my Office XP CD. Can any of you geniusses out there tell me what is going on and what I can do about it? If I click 'cancel' a million times, the dialog box eventually goes away allowing the search to continue normally, but why do I suddenly have to go to these lengths to do something simple like a search.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win XP Search Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win XP Search Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Win XP Search Problem

In reply to: Win XP Search Problem

1. So, what happens if you insert the Office XP CD and let it go further ?

2. Try to disable the Indexing Service. Click Start, Run type services.msc and press Enter. Scroll down until Indexing Service and if it's started click Stop.

3. Another approach is if you have windows XP Pro. In this case, use the instructions from the following MSKB article:

Q308202 - "HOW TO: Create and Configure a Catalog for Indexing"

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Win XP Search Problem

Cetin, thanks very much for your interest in my problem. If I go ahead and insert the Office XP CD, nothing that I do will get it to admit that the CD is in the drive....very strange. I am puzzled as to why it should want to involve Office in any case!! I have disabled the Indexing service again...I did it the other day as it was my first brainwave on the problem, but it makes not the slightest difference. I will try your other suggestion tomorrow when my blood pressure subsides. Thanks again. I'll let you know what happens.
John

Collapse -

y'all....

1. Is the registry address correct, [Search Companion Error When You Search for Files and Folders (Q816665)]?

2. Have you performed any of the odd functions described in "Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder (Q321186)?"

3. If you change the options described in "HOW TO: Disable Automatic Search for Network Printers and Folders in Windows XP (Q320138)", is Search operational afterwards?

4. "HOW TO: Configure the Search Companion in Windows XP (Q307980)."

Bill Gaston

Pardon ma ACKsent, ah'm frum Austin, Tex_As, USA

....its been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway,' but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies.
Collapse -

Hi Bill. Thanks for your interest in my problem. I have just finished going through your list of suggestions. Unfortunately, everything seems either as it should be, or else no modifications make a jot of difference. If I knew when this problem started, I would do a system restore to hopefully correct it, but, as I don't use 'Search' very often, I have no idea when it started. If you have any further brainwaves, I'd love to hear them.
Cheers, John

Collapse -

Collapse -

Thanks for this extraordinary link. I am just off to buy enough beer to give me the huge amount of Dutch courage necessary to embark on such a major undertaking. Might take a while, but I'll let you know what happened.
John

Collapse -
NT - Requires more than one ''Big Orange'' yes.

Collapse -
Reinstall Search Companion ...

At this point let's try to reinstall Search Companion.

Log on using an administrator account. Click Start, Run, type %systemroot%\inf and press Enter. Scroll down until Srchasst.inf file. Right click Srchasst.inf ,select Install.

NOTE

The procedure needs Windows XP CD kit.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re: Reinstall Search Companion ...

In reply to: Reinstall Search Companion ...

Hi Cetin. I've already done that, without it making a jot of difference, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.
John

Collapse -
Delete Search cache ?

In reply to: Re: Reinstall Search Companion ...

Before trying the below procedure, create a Restore Point.

Launch regedit (click Start, Run type regedit and press Enter). Expand the following path

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant\ACMru

You'll see some numeric subfolders under ACMru. Example 5603, 5604, 5647

Right click each numeric subfolder, select Delete. Exit regedit. Logoff and Logon.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.