Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Win XP - Program Pop Up problem. Help :(

by jasonantebi / September 10, 2005 7:54 AM PDT

I'm running Windows XP. Every ten or fifteen minutes a program pops up in the background, for about 1/2 a second, then disappears. It disrupts my screensaver. I have no idea what this is, or why it pops up. I thought it was an Outlook automatic mail download but I disabled everything I know of with Outlook and this problem still persists. Can anyone offer any help?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win XP - Program Pop Up problem. Help :(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win XP - Program Pop Up problem. Help :(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Without knowing what it is,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 10, 2005 8:05 AM PDT

there is little we can do to help.

What does this popup look like? Where on the screen does it popup? (eg bottom right hand corner near the clock?)

Does it popup ''only'' when your screen saver is on, or at other times as well? What other times?

Does this start as soon as you turn the computer on and Windows has loaded? If not, when does it start?

Do you use a firewall? If so, is it configured to alert you everytime a hacker attempts to access your computer?

What do you use to protect your PC from viruses, spyware and adware?

What are the specs of your computer, and what ISP connection do you have, eg dialup, broadband?

What processes are running in the background? Right click the Taskbar, and select ''Task manager'', then click the Processes tab. Go here;
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
to check what each process does.

What programs are loaded at startup? Goto Start > Run and type in ''msconfig'', (without the quotes), and check the Startup tab.

Mark

Collapse -
answers
by jasonantebi / September 10, 2005 8:38 AM PDT

What does this popup look like? Where on the screen does it popup? (eg bottom right hand corner near the clock?)

-It's in the taskbar. It looks like any program would on startup, except it lasts so short that I can even right click it to see the properties. It almost looks like a DOS program starting.

Does it popup ''only'' when your screen saver is on, or at other times as well? What other times?

-All times. Every 10-15 minutes or so.

Does this start as soon as you turn the computer on and Windows has loaded? If not, when does it start?

-Yes, when the computer is on, this happens.

What do you use to protect your PC from viruses, spyware and adware?

-I have antivirus, firewall and adware

What are the specs of your computer, and what ISP connection do you have, eg dialup, broadband?

-Cable used to get online. Brand new gateway507 GR.

Collapse -
Confirm your Spelling of Adware (if spelt correctly)....
by tobeach / September 10, 2005 3:14 PM PDT
In reply to: answers

then you have a "rogue program" that instead of protecting you & may even be causing or enabling pop-ups!
The rogue program should be un-installed (Valid one is AdAware SE from Lavasoft). Suggest both that & Spybot S&D as it searches for different type targets. Both Free & both available from links in here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=114259&messageID=1298628
Read about rogues (add to your favorites list) Here:
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
Update both every week(AdAware) 2 weeks(Spybot)Enjoy! Happy

Collapse -
my mistake
by jasonantebi / September 10, 2005 5:09 PM PDT

I misspelled. I have Ad-Aware from Lavasoft

Collapse -
Thanks for the further information,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 10, 2005 6:28 PM PDT
In reply to: my mistake

and I fully agree with Tobeach, that you also need anti-spyware.

In addition to Spybot Search & Destroy, I would also recommend two other anti-spyware applications, (for spyware it is good to use more than one anti-spyware utility);

SpywareBlaster from http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Microsoft's AntiSpyware available from
Microsoft?s web site

And lastly, make sure your Windows Operating System, (OS), is up to date. To do this, goto Start, and click the ?Windows Update? link. Beware, if you have not been to Windows Update before, there may be a lot of critical and other updates your OS needs to download.

Good luck,

Mark

Collapse -
Are you using Windows POP UP Program?
by kym7233 / September 13, 2005 2:33 PM PDT

Thats what might be poping up on your screen while in Screensaver, check to see that you have your POPUP blocker on with your Microsoft Internet Explorer, if you have SP2 they have that availability... that might solve your problem

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!