Computer Help forum

General discussion

WIN XP PRO won't boot - don't have disc - help!

by cjmac / January 15, 2009 4:24 AM PST

Suddenly my machine won't boot. It just keeps coming back to the same screen telling me windows had a problem and do I want to start windows normally or safe etc. None of the options work. Is there something I can download that I can use as a boot disc?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WIN XP PRO won't boot - don't have disc - help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WIN XP PRO won't boot - don't have disc - help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Boot disks are
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 5:23 AM PST

Over at http://www.bootdisk.com HOWEVER I'm sure you need the full XP Pro CD that was used to install your OS. The good news is that it's cheap (at least here.) Microsoft replaced mine for 35 bucks last month.
Bob

Collapse -
WIN XP PRO won't boot - don't have disc - help!
by bjhdsh / January 15, 2009 5:45 AM PST

This is bad. Your NTLDR is corrupt. The quickest fix is to find a friend still running XP pro and borrow the disk. You can download XP boot disks from Microsoft. That will bring up the computer, but you will need the CD to complete an XP full install. If you want the boot disks go to Microsoft.com and look for the setup disks. You will need 6-1.44 double sided floppies and a floppy reader to copy and load the disks onto your machine. Be warned that these disks will completely remove the operating system and put enough information to boot to a CD. They are usually used boot up a non-system boot type of CD.

Collapse -
A little clarification is needed ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 15, 2009 7:39 AM PST

when you say "Be warned that these disks will completely remove the operating system and put enough information to boot to a CD. They are usually used boot up a non-system boot type of CD." because if the Repair option is selected it will allow access to the Recovery Console and will not overwrite any system files.

Collapse -
As Bob noted, replacement disks for the OS ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 15, 2009 7:47 AM PST

are usually inexpensive.

You didn't mention just what your computer is and it may already have a restore to original condition method available to you.

If so and if all you need is actually a Recovery Console there is a handy dandy utility called ComboFix that enables you to download Microsoft's Boot Diskettes (be sure to select the correct set for your OS and Service Pack level per the instructions on the page) which is linked to.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.