Computer Help forum

General discussion

Win XP Pro to Win XP PRO

by phil_bach / March 10, 2008 2:08 PM PDT

Has anyone here done a duel boot with two hard drives each with Windows XP. if so I sure would like to hear how. I am having so much trouble with Internet explorer I have decided to use one hard drive with Internet access and the other just for records, business, photos and recording audio. thank you for any ideas you may have. Phil

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win XP Pro to Win XP PRO
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win XP Pro to Win XP PRO
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
trouble with Internet Explorer
by eddie11013 / March 11, 2008 12:00 AM PDT

As to your question regarding dual boot, I don't have an answer, I'm sure someone else does, but as to 'trouble with Internet Explorer', perhaps if you would describe in more detail the problems you are having someone can give a hand. Maybe describe some of the steps you have already taken in trying to resolve those issues. After all, they 'still' need to be resolved whether you do a dual boot or not.
Don't forget to look at the 'red note' regarding posting info.
Good luck,

Collapse -
that's not a solution
by ramarc / March 11, 2008 12:18 AM PDT

if you get a virus, it can infect files on any drive. and how will you get updates/patches on the 2nd install if it doesn't have internet access?

you didn't describe what your problems are, but have you tried using firefox or opera instead? are you using a firewall, anti-virus software, and other security/protection software?

Collapse -
win XP Pro to win XP Pro
by phil_bach / March 17, 2008 1:29 PM PDT
In reply to: that's not a solution

Have not had time to get a virus, as I said just loaded windows, modem software and 82 windows updates other internet access.

Collapse -
Win XP Pro to Win XP Pro
by phil_bach / March 11, 2008 1:17 AM PDT

I purchased a new full version of win xp pro install went fine, installed the modem software then I got this notice from Microsoft telling me I need some security updates well I let them download and install them (82 of them) now the curser locks up - sometimes bad enough that I have to reset the computer! sometimes I get a blue sereen that goes by so fast I have no time to push page/break (I could not understand the codes anyways)I have at these times entered task manager to see what is running at the bottom it says CPU idle time 99 all other items are 00. I am running a ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe NIVIDA Socket AM2 ATX Motherboard -- PCI Express/SLI ready/Gigabit LAN/ Wireless 802.11b/g/S /PDIF/USB 2.0/Serial ATA/Raid. One AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 2.80GHz/2MB Cache/2000MHz FSB/Socket AM2/duel core (Windsor) CPU, (Yes it even has a fan), temp runs 102 degrees. Two 250MB hard drives in Raid-1,temp 106 degrees. One XFX GeForce 7900 GT/256MB GDDR3/SLI/PCI Express/Duel DVI/HDTV Video Card, temp 99 degrees. One set OCZ Duel Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2x1024MB) memory, temp ?. A 650-watt ATX/120mm fan/SATA-Ready/SLI-ready/20/24-pin Power Supply

Collapse -
Some general thoughts?
by eddie11013 / March 11, 2008 2:03 AM PDT

?New? install! Did you install the ?rest? of the drivers? Any yellow question marks in device manager? Any error messages in ?event viewer?? Start/run/eventvwr.exe. Regarding ?task manager?, how many processes are running, mine is usually around 33-37, just depends. Maybe have a look at start/control panel/add and remove programs, and review what is installed, maybe a program is causing a conflict. Uninstall anything you can. As previous poster mentioned, do you have a firewall and have you run any ?anti? programs. Not only anti-virus but anti-spy ware as well. Oddly enough, today is ?update Tuesday?, from Microsoft, so you may need additional updates. I know you don?t want to hear that, but. Have you run a registry cleaner like ?CCleaner?. Simple but effective. Have you run check disc? -

Collapse -
This reminds me of...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2008 2:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
Seems a bit overkill
by Jimmy Greystone / March 11, 2008 4:44 AM PDT

IF you have problems with IE, don't use it. Use one of the three alternative browsers available to you: Firefox, Opera, and Safari. I'll lump Seamonkey in with Firefox since Seamonkey is basically just Firefox, Thunderbird, and a few other Mozilla projects rolled into one monolithic program.

Anyway, all those alternatives are free, so you can download them all, try them out for as long as you like, and then keep whichever one(s) you like best.

It's a simple, clean, and elegant solution to the problem.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?