Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Win XP Pro Starting problem

by ylselo / July 16, 2005 4:12 AM PDT

I have Win XP Pro installed on a PIII 500mhz, 256Meg RAM. My 6 year old did something to it that he cannot explain to me.
Anyway, when I boot up the PC, it goes thru most of its sequences until it shows:" Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM".
Then it advises starting with Windows Setup using the original CD-ROM and press r at the first screen to start repair.
I did all of that and nothing happened.
I checked my BIOS; everything appears fine.
I booted it with a folppy disk and I didn't have access to the other drives.
I am asking for HELP. PLEASE.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win XP Pro Starting problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win XP Pro Starting problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try the Repair method....
by Michael Geist / July 16, 2005 4:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
Safe mode
by Marcel Bakker / July 16, 2005 5:18 AM PDT

does the computer boot up in safe mode ( press F8 after POST).
If yes, then run a disc check first before you try to do an in place re-install....usually you do loose some stuf with an inplace re-install....and never let kids use YOUR computer, get them an old one to trash!

Collapse -
this would fix if
by gopinath_sastra / July 16, 2005 7:11 PM PDT

u installed xp
but dont try this if xp came preinstalled
boot to the recovery console by booting from xp cd and press r in the first screen
then press number 1 and hit enter
then press enter(if u have set any password for the default administrator u need to type it)but mostly it is blank
then u wiill be in c:\windows>
type
cd system32\config
press enter
type
system system.old
press enter
type cd \
press enter
type cd windows\repair
press enter
type copy system c:\windows\system32\config\system
press enter
type quit and press enter and see if it works
this will definitely work if u installed xp but if it is an oem installation it is not possible and reason is in 307545
the steps are a part of article 307545

Collapse -
Win XP Prp Starting Problem
by ylselo / July 17, 2005 12:23 PM PDT

Gentlemen,
I appreciate all the help you are sending my way. Yet, there's very little I can do when I can't access the Recovery Console, when I can't boot from Safe Mode, when I even changed the booting sequence in BIOS and I still can't boot from the CD ROM. Etc.
This is my kids' PC. I am trying to fix it asap this way they don't get a chance to mess mine. And yes, they would need a password to access my PC.
My next option - which I was trying to avoid- is to remove the HD and slave it to my own PC so I can try to load the missing file.
Thanx. Keep the suggestions coming

Collapse -
Windows XP Pro Starting Problem
by ylselo / July 24, 2005 3:37 AM PDT

Gents, I followed your advices. I was able to restart XP. But I ended with more problems: it says now that :"windows\system32\l_intl.nls" is missing or corrupted. What do I do now when I boot to the recovery console?
Thank you.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!