1 gb pc-4200 ddr2
80 gb sata ii hd
cpu Pent D 830 3.0 GHZ with a big huge intel heatsink
Norton imternet security 2005
OFFICE 2003
4 more extra fans
500 power supply
one cd burner and 1 dvd player
The computer has been working fine for a week while testing and instaling things before i gave it to the user, the user started using microsoft outlook 2003 w/o a problem but i saw the computer frozen yesterday or not responding while he was working with M.OUTL 2003, it is the only thing this user use for email, Norton S. 2005 INCLUDES spyware, antivirus, and yo know the rest, do you think can be a malware, i check the cpu temperature and it is about 45-46celcium and motherb 41c, i don't think it is to bad , the computer boots really quick and logon to our network but after a few seconds on the desktop mouse or keyboard does not respond neither ctrl+alt+ del, like i said i tested this computer for a whole week, even recieving emails thr M.O.2003., the only thing i did not do was sending emails, the user got the computer this monday, then yesterday tuesday he has experimented this problem, now this morning i ran scandisk from windows and defrag. i was trying this morning to run norton antivirus after i rebooted the computer to find if it is something there and after 257 files checked the computer froze again, i really checked the cpu fan to see if it was working and it was, any advise where to start isolating the problem. thanks, any help is very appreciated as always
Ernest

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WIN XP PRO SPK2 FREEZE WHEN REACHED THE DESKTOP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WIN XP PRO SPK2 FREEZE WHEN REACHED THE DESKTOP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1 week = warranty.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2007 11:00 PM PDT

Let the maker fix it. However something is very strange here since "4 more extra fans" is abnormal. What maker does this?

Bob

Collapse -
Bob I built the computer
by er_paez47 / March 21, 2007 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: 1 week = warranty.

The computer has been working fine for a week almost 24 x7, ok then yesterday i just got frozen, ok i checked with asus and i told them about he cpu and motherb temps, they say is ok, the case came with 2 fans included, the other two are the cpu fan heatsink and and extra one i installed in the back of the computer, you know to keep the heat out cause i knew where the computer is going to be , ok going to the issue.
do yo recommend to goto safe mode and run norton ant(scan) ?

Do you recommend me to get rid of norton to see if it is conflicting ?
i had it(NORTON) there since i built the comp.and running in the background while Micr.Outl 2003 was flushing or recieving emails, i don't know what is going on now, can you please let me have some advise ? , again computer still boot up really fast and i can logon into the network then it go to the desktop and after a few seconds mouse and keyb are frozen.

can i run in safe mode sfc/scannow ?
can i run norton scan in safe mode ?
Thanks

Collapse -
If you check our Security Forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 1:35 AM PDT

There is a sticky at the top containing our common advice about what to scan with. Norton isn't in that list.

-> Let's get dirty here. Once you give a machine to the end user all they need to do today is visit the wrong website with say "Internet Explorer" and it's game over.

The problem is now quite dire and I wonder how supply lines can do much more than help the owner along until we hit the inevitable reload to prove the hardware is just fine.

Also we have the nagging issue with "corrupt profiles." To make matters worse Microsoft has no tools to troubleshoot this area but tells us to create a new user and if that works to migrate the owners files over. Here's my big question -> Isn't this a bug worth fixing? (hint, they think it's called Vista.)

Sorry if I missed out that you built the machine. Sadly that means you are stuck with the issues Microsoft left you with. Take the cues from how the support lines deal with this.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.