Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Win XP Pro SP3 WZC Help

I am helping a co-worker set up a laptop that she got through a Student Laptop program that was administered by her kids' school. I basically have it up and running. It is an HP/Compaq nx6310. Network adapter is an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Net

My problem is as follows:

I am currently connected to an unsecured wireless connection from someone in my building (not my own wireless network) when I try to choose another network says "No wireless networks were found in range" however I am still very much connected to the internet. (Also the laptop connected to the Guest Network at my office automatically saying "No wireless networks were found in range." I am currently using my own laptop in the same room and
have several wireless networks in range.

When I disable WZC using services.msc the laptop still connects to the same unsecured wireless connection. However the message changes to "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection"

I do not have a wireless connections tab under the Wireless Network Connection Properties window with WZC started or disabled so I cannot choose to let windows manage my wireless connections.

I have disabled all non windows startup entries in MSCONFIG...nothing...

I have updated all windows updates, all device drivers, I have checked for errors in Device manager...nothing...

Obviously if I can connect to the internet with WZC disabled some other application is managing the wireless networking. However I cannot find this application anywhere.

I have googled every running process in task manager to find it...nothing...
I have set all the services to the default based on the info at this url http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm ...nothing

I am sure this has to do with the fact that this computer used to be pretty well locked down for a middle school student to get on the schools network but nothing else.

Any ideas? My coworker has lost her XP disc so I can't do a clean install.
I worry that if I do a system restore I will lose all the work I put into getting this laptop to work like a personal laptop rather than a system administered laptop.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win XP Pro SP3 WZC Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win XP Pro SP3 WZC Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Another wireless servcie perhaps

In reply to: Win XP Pro SP3 WZC Help

Using msconfig and clicking the Services tab you have an option to hide all MS services and this will show you third party ones. Perhaps you'll see on that looks suspiciously like a wireless service. You can disable these until all but MS are running and, if no more WiFi connect, you'll know it's one of these.

Collapse -
Tried That

In reply to: Another wireless servcie perhaps

Thanks for the help. I have tried that, as well as looking in Add Remove Programs and C:/ Programs files. Haven't been able to find anything that looks like it would manage the wireless connections.

Could there be System Administrator files somewhere that I can't see that could be doing this?

Collapse -
I've not had this problem but

In reply to: Tried That

It would seem that task manager might offer something. If you're able to disable the wireless network adapter and compare what runs that way with what runs with the adapter enabled, you might get a clue. It's definitely a program and/or service that controls the wireless operation and not just some files somewhere.

Collapse -
workaround

In reply to: I've not had this problem but

Well I think I have found a work around for this co-worker. I disabled WZC. Then I downloaded the network management program for the intel wireless card that is installed in the pc. With that running I am able to view and connect to any of the available wireless networks. This should work for her. So I am gonna call it fixed and she can use it to work from home now.

Thanks for the advice.

If anyone has any other ideas on what could be doing this please let me know so I can get this computer working as it should.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.