HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

win xp pro install problems

by 79cvtecc / March 21, 2007 12:47 AM PDT

I just recently upgraded my whole system, I have Biostar pt880 pro-a7 motherboard, p4 3.2ghz, 1 gig ddr2, and a 300g sata hdd. I also have a cd-rw disk drive (i'm not sure of the make or brand) The problem that I'm having is that when I try a clean install it hangs up very bad. If I try and use it in raid the motherboard doesn't even pick it up or show it to me in bios and therefore won't let me write to it when I try to install. So then I changed the bios to set the hdd as an ide. When I did this the hdd finally showed in bios and I was able to write to it. I booted from the cd and formated and partitioned the hd into two equal sized partitions. When the disk started to copy files it would cycle. You could hear the disk drive spinning and you could see the different files it was loading, then it would stop spinning for about 5-10 minutes while showing the same file uploading, then it would start spinning again and continue to load files. It was taking forever so at about 20% and an hour into the setup I went to sleep. I woke up about 6 hours later and it still showed that it had only loaded 80%. When it finally finished loading and got to the blue screen that says 39 minutes left to complete install. It sounded like it was loading the files and then stopped spinning again, after that I think it timed out and I got the blue screen of death. I have no idea what to do now. If anyone can help me out that would be great. Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: win xp pro install problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: win xp pro install problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't read where you...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 12:56 AM PDT

Tapped the F6 key to load motherboard SATA drivers. Your post reads as if you tried to install XP without that. There are other issues such as leaving USB devices plugged in that XP can't handle till we add more drivers.

Tell more about how you installed XP and how your procedure differs from the usual you find at google.com with these words. HOW DO I INSTALL XP TO A SATA DRIVE?

Bob

Collapse -
by 79cvtecc / March 21, 2007 2:22 AM PDT

I tried, more than once, to press f6 when it asked me to. I tried pushing it, tapping it more than once, and holding it down but nothing ever happened. It would then go on say press f2 for some other options that I don't remember. Also, there was only the hd, cd-rom, ram, floppy drive and graphics card hooked up.

Collapse -
I wonder what XP CD you have or what keyboard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

Some have USB keyboards which have that issue. If you've looked over those install to SATA guides you'll also find where some make a new XP CD with the SATA drivers integrated. This may be what you have to do if your machine will not respond to the F6 key when needed.

-> Bottomline? We've discovered your install procedure is incorrect.

Bob

Collapse -
It has to be something else.....
by 79cvtecc / March 23, 2007 1:01 AM PDT

I tried disconnecting the sata hdd and installing my old 40g ide hd. I still have the same problem of the disk drive cycling. Oh, and my keyboard isn't the usb type.

Collapse -
Then your machine needs repair.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2007 1:09 AM PDT

Sorry but given the details so far your machine is broken. XP will install without problem if your hardware as described was functional. There are times we come across some old HP that will never run XP due to that old BIOS bug HP left in it but I don't see that detail in your post.

Try this. Take the machine back and have them show you XP installing as a test of the hardware. Let them fix it.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.