Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Win XP Home CHKDSK can't run

I set up chkdsk to run in my pc and I get CHKDSK Can't Open Volume. I have run from recovery console and changed reg. settings as advised on Microsoft's site also applied patch from Microsoft. Diskkeeper 8.0 can't run untill CHKDSK is complete I also have Systemworks 2004 with 2004 Firewall could these programs be the problem? NEED HELP!! have done everything recommened with no luck!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win XP Home CHKDSK can't run
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win XP Home CHKDSK can't run
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
does Norton Disk doctor do the same thing?

In reply to: Win XP Home CHKDSK can't run

does Norton Disk doctor do the same thing

Collapse -
Re: does Norton Disk doctor do the same thing?

In reply to: does Norton Disk doctor do the same thing?

Disk doctor asked if I want to to run chkdsk on next boot.

Collapse -
Re: does Norton Disk doctor do the same thing?

In reply to: Re: does Norton Disk doctor do the same thing?

Sorry for the double post! I am also getting a new pain! I get a message that my pageing file is to small I try to change it and apply reboot and get the same message. I am ready to format and reinstall windows. I donnot know what is going on with pc!!

Collapse -
dont panic

In reply to: Re: does Norton Disk doctor do the same thing?

it is normal for disk doctor to say that - it means one of you "startup files" is writing to your disk - run msconfig.exe and have a look at what is in the "startup" list - most of those program are probably not needed - usually they end up residing in the systems tray (near the date and time in the bottom right hand corner) disbale all those programs u dont need to start with windows - - most of them have a short cut in the start\programs folder anyway. I have a little as possible in my "systems tray" as these are programs that are running in the background chewing up memory and resourses.
hope this helps
peter

Collapse -
Re: dont panic

In reply to: dont panic

I have done msconfig and have very little listed on start up

Collapse -
Re: Win XP Home CHKDSK can't run

There is a known issue with Zone Alarm (a firewall), chkdsk and disk doctor. My bet is you've found a new combo that has the same issue.

Its not a XP bug, but something in the software you installed. My bet it's in the 2004 NIS firewall.

Bob

Collapse -
can u tell us more

In reply to: Re: Win XP Home CHKDSK can't run

Bob,
Can you tell us more about what you know about the issue of chkdsk and disk doctor
Peter

Collapse -
Re: can u tell us more

In reply to: can u tell us more

Collapse -
Re: Win XP Home CHKDSK can't run

guess I will uninstall Zone Alarm and Norton and see what happens. I can always reinstall them

Collapse -
dont do it

think u will create more problems with uninstalling norton - it can be ****** to reinstall - please only do it as a last resort - why not use norton speed disk and disk doctor anyway - its my understanding norton supplied defag and chkdsk (formally scandisk) for microsoft in the first place - i therefore have assumed that nortons versions have always been superior
But i have found zone alarm causes problems - but that is why i suggested trying to stop all these programs starting in the first instance and its then a matter of elimination if that solves the problem - but uninstalling norton i believe will just give u more problems
peter

peter

Collapse -
one other thing

I have found with both chkdsk and NDD if the "fix errors" option is ticked they always seem to want to reschedule a check during next boot giving the reason that some other program is using the systems file - it's also my understanding that XP locks a lot of systems files anyway - so i can only conclude that if u want to fix errors u will always need to reboot - on the other hand if the "fix" option is not selected the disk is checked and a report given of any errors found - the reason i have brought this up is have you tried to do a scan without the "fix errors" ticked???
one other thing I found it best to run NDD from within the "Norton Systems Works Centre" rather than from within "my computer/Properties" because u can see what defaults are set
Peter

Collapse -
Re: one other thing

In reply to: one other thing

Let me be blunt. Symantec has some bugs to fix.

Bob

Collapse -
got u loud and clear!

In reply to: Re: one other thing

yes i gathered that from before Bob - i also gathered u r a diplomat! - its a shame because Norton used to be so good (years ago) but now everything seems be be "buggy" particularly with XP - Peter Norton and Bill must have had a fallout!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.