Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Win xp home and speed

by Jiller / June 23, 2007 7:58 AM PDT

I have an HP Pavilion xt963 and I hate it..It takes 10 min to start up, It has 40 gb hard drive..128memory..I wanted to know if its possibly the problem?[the 128 mem] For Win xp home,isnt the min. requirements,256? This comp was givin to me...with a burned out fan..so I just stuck a little fan in it..and it works..I have done all the cleaning..all the virus checks..deleatde all the programs.....still sloooow! Should I invest in another mem stick??!I have teenagers!! And they want to download all this stuff on MY IBM!!!I want to let them have this HP so theyll leave my ibm alone..Is there a way to make it fast? Or is win xp normally slow?Iv never used HP or XP before...[only IBM and win2000 pro]....any advice? thankyou!...jiller

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win xp home and speed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win xp home and speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More RAM would help
by jackson dougless / June 23, 2007 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Win xp home and speed

I consider 256MB to be the minimum amount you want to be running XP with, 512MB if you want decent performance.

Generally speaking, every version of Windows is slower than the last, due to feature creep. Microsoft is still stuck in a 1980s business mentality of the pre-Internet age where it just wasn't really possible to download a bunch of small programs for specific tasks. That's a gross oversimplification of the matter, and it completely ignores several important factors, but you get the idea. More features means slower performance on any given bit of hardware.

Adding RAM to the HP system will certainly help, but there will still only be so much you can do. So don't expect any miracles, because they aren't coming, but you can improve your situation.

Collapse -
Yes, more memory
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 23, 2007 8:22 AM PDT

I would say a minimum of 512MB, but if you can afford more, go for 1GB.

But that's not the end of the story. Get that fan sorted before something overheats.

For startup problems check your startup list, in the System Configuration Utility, (Start > Run, type in msconfig and click OK, then click the Startup tab). Google anything you are not sure of, and disable everything you don't need to load at startup.

You said you did all the virus checks, but what with? And what about the spyware, what did you use to scan for those?

Mark

Collapse -
More memory YES maybe a reninstall is better too
by gargoyle_xlvii / June 24, 2007 12:00 AM PDT

First how much crap is the unit trying to start up?
If you have a ton of useless trying to start it will take forever. So go through you startup and see what you can eliminate. You said you did this but how did you do it?

The idea of 1 gib of memory is great if you are doing 20 things at once but for me with 512mb on a P4 1.7Gb it is just find. I rarely have more the 4 programs running at one time and I never feel like the computer is lagging. Yes get another stick of at least 512mg it will help.

10 minutes does seem excessive, if you have the disks for Winxp I would wipe the drive and start all over. This way you could put in what you want and not have to deal with what the previous owner wanted on the machine.

Collapse -
reply to answers/HP and speed
by Jiller / June 28, 2007 8:55 PM PDT

Hey! I want to thank all of you for your great answers!The programs I used to clean it was..Ad-aware..CrapCleaner..AVG..Spybot/S&D..Ialso did disk cleanup..I also found Corel on there it was such a memory hog!I finally got that off.I am going to add as much as possible,I do believe it will help..I would love to do a re-install after I install the mem. I do not have the os disk,tho..someone tryied to help by loaning me a Winxp pro..without the key.So thats no good..Yes I did do a check on the startup..there were 4 startup programs..I got rid of one..so far it worked..it is faster....thanks again!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.