Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Win XP Freezes

This week my computer has begun freezing up randomly, usually shortly after startup. The only thing I have done new is to add the two updates from Microsoft that came out earlier in the week. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win XP Freezes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win XP Freezes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not here.

In reply to: Win XP Freezes

You could supply more clues and information. Simple maintenance that you've done such as dust out the machine and the rest of the forum note which asked:

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Collapse -
Specifics

In reply to: Not here.

I am using Windows XP Home SP2. It is an Intel Pentium 4 with a CPU 1300 mhz. The hard drive is 1.28 GHz with 640 MB of RAM. I don't have a specific model or make number since a relative built my computer for me. I always perform needed routine maintenance items such as defrags, disk cleanup, etc.
As stated earlier, the system freezes randomly. Ctrl-Alt-Delete doesn't work and the pointer is stuck. Computer must be rebooted at that point. No new software has been added except the aforementioned updates from Microsoft. I guess I was just wondering if my problem was unique since adding these updates. Sorry if I don't provide enough info. for anyone to assist. This is all I know to add to the original post. Thanks

Collapse -
There's a clue in there.

In reply to: Specifics

The speed of this desktop pegs it at a time where too many motherboards had bad motherboard capacitors. Read the next link which will have pictures and examine your machine for this issue then report back.

-> http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

Collapse -
Thanks for the Info.

In reply to: There's a clue in there.

I will try to examine this issue this weekend. The last time the system froze, I tried to reboot and got nothing but a loud, intermittent ringing noise. I am now using my "backup" computer downstairs. It looks like my "main" computer is now dead.

Collapse -
tip

go in system and disable the system restore.
try this and i think it would be beter.

Collapse -
what???

Warren,

Your hard drive size doesn't make sense. Do you mean 1.28 gigabytes or 12.8 gigabytes or 128 gigabytes? This is very important. What startup processes are running. What anti-virus and firewall are you using. Did you open and attachments in email lately (this type of lockup is indicative of a trojan or virus). Check how much disk space is unused. If you have a small drive you might be out of space. This can cause the machine to lockup. Give us this info and we will probably be better able to advise you.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
More Specifics

My hard drive is partitioned: C is 69 GB with 39 GB free - D is 7.95 GB with 7.60 free. As far as acquiring a trojan or virus, I run an updated version of McAfee regularly and use the Windows firewall in conjunction with a NAT router from Netgear. I never open attachments from unknown e-mails. I also use Lavasoft Adaware in conjunction with Spywareblaster.
All in all, I feel the computer is rather well protected. However, this is not to say it can't be corrupted from such a source. Once again, I really appreciate your willingness to assist and hope this additional info. helps.

Collapse -
OK... next...

In reply to: More Specifics

A couple/few/many more thoughts: How far apart do you check for viruses? How do you connect to the net? How much memory do you have? How many processes are running? Are we having fun yet??

Your hangups could be caused while XP is still loading processes. A virus might still have snuck in if you are on broadband or DSL. One of your recent updates may have not been as error-free as Microsoft believed it was. Anything else you can think of that is different?

I'm not going anywhere...

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
More Specifics and More Problems

In reply to: OK... next...

I check for viruses weekly and did a complete check using the latest definition files from McAfee this morning. It found no viruses.

I connect to the net via cable modem.

I have 640MB of RAM.

There are 47 processes running.

In addition to the aforementioned problems, my screen went blank on me since my last posting. I have since downloaded and installed the latest video drivers from ATI.

I appreciate your continued support and hope this information helps. As a side note, the computer will make a loud ringing noise as I try turning it off following one of its crashes. I have to hold the power button in for about 8-10 seconds to shut down machine.

Collapse -
The 8 - 10 seconds...

In reply to: More Specifics and More Problems

are nothing to worry about. Most motherboards have that delay (usually 5 seconds). When your machine starts making strange noises, that's something you should be very concerned about. You should find some way of backing up the entire drive before we go much further. I probably should have asked you to do this before we got too deep. You might be getting ready to experience a burnout...of the unrecoverable kind :-|. You might start thinking in terms of at least a new motherboard and cpu. It's too bad these forums don't allow for live video.

Maybe someone else out there has better ideas. I don't want Warren's computer to burn up before we find a resolution???

Warren,let me know when you want to continue. Is your computer not coming up at all or is this happened now and then?

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Re: 8-10 sec

In reply to: The 8 - 10 seconds...

My computer is working at present. Thus, we can say this is an intermittent problem. After downloading the updated video driver from ATI, it would not reboot at all. In frustration, I went to the grocery store for some beer and food. Upon my return, it came back up as you can now see. We have had a series of thunderstorms here of late. I have the computer attached to an APC UPS to protect it. Nothing else in the house seems affected so I don't think that is the culprit. I will continue working with it for awhile hoping that the video driver update solved this issue. I will report back. And again, thanks so much for your continued assistance.

Collapse -
3 Websites for help

In reply to: Win XP Freezes

Collapse -
Thanks for These Sites

In reply to: 3 Websites for help

Thanks for passing along these useful sites. Maybe I will be able to find an answer somewhere in there.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!