Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Win xp folder won't rename or delete

by d22w22h22 / September 10, 2008 12:31 PM PDT

Hi I'm trying to rename or delete a folder but there is no options for the folder

Using windows xp service pac 2
in Administer account
hit START Goto ---> My Computer

listed in My Computer is..... Files Stored on This Computer. then the folders
..............Shared Documents
..............'S Documents
..............ABC'S Documents
..............Guest Documents
HARD DISK DRIVES
(C:) Local Disk
Ok the problem I am having is I can't delete or rename the folder..... 'S Documents this folder is empty. I think I used a trick on u-tube to hide the name and I cant find iThe trick. This folder shows up as a My Document folder in dos. and says acesss denied. It may be a duplicate or used in the same way. Posibly it a folder used by windows
Thanks for any help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win xp folder won't rename or delete
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win xp folder won't rename or delete
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Posibly it a folder used by windows
by Stan Chambers / September 10, 2008 12:34 PM PDT

Yep. I think you just answered you own question.

Collapse -
any solutions
by d22w22h22 / September 10, 2008 2:07 PM PDT

Any solutions that you know of or have you seen this problem before?

Collapse -
When folders don't provide rename option - -
by johningg / July 14, 2011 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: any solutions

I have Windows XP sp3. When I create a new folder in "My Documents" there is no right-click option to rename the folder. Rather than fighting Microsoft, I just drag the folder onto the desktop where the rename option is available, rename the file, and then drag it back to where it belongs.

Collapse -
Some options
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 11, 2008 8:14 PM PDT

See if any of these help. XP creates many System documents, and deleting them may cause some instability in the system.

1] You say 'S Documents is empty, so it seems you can open it to look inside. In My Computer, if you open the folder, what is the path to the document shown in the Address bar?

For example, my own Shared Documents folder shows C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents . If I now click the "Folders" icon button the display changes, and I can see this folder highlighted. If I right click it, I can now see a Delete option. Obviously I haven't tried to delete as I don't want this folder removed.

2] If you still cannot delete it, try "Taking Ownership", using Microsoft's guidance here. Then attempt to delete it.

3] If that fails, boot up into Safe Mode, find the folder and try to delete it from there.

4] If all that doesn't remove it, go get the heavy mob. Use the utility "MoveOnBoot", (find it with Google). This will allow you to specify which folder to delete, and will then do so the next time you reboot the computer.

Be wary of this utility. It is very powerful, and you can easily delete the wrong folder, rendering the OS unworkable.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Can't rename or delete Folder
by d22w22h22 / September 12, 2008 1:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Some options

Hi thanks for your suggestion I tried the first few and went to that great site "How to take ownership of a folder" but when i go to properties there is no tabs for security only "General and Sharing "not many option after that
also this folder in ? is not in shared its on the administer acount
path is "Documents ans Settings\ABC" <----Example, but the folder
".'S Document" does not appear. I will try the last option you gave
and get back to ya thanks again.

Collapse -
Just a note.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 12, 2008 6:17 PM PDT

If you are using Windows XP Home, then you need to start the system into Safe Mode, then log in using an Admin account to access the Security tab.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode.

If you are using Windows XP Professional, then you need to disable Simple File Sharing.

Mark

Collapse -
two other steps possible before safe boot
by schollii / March 26, 2011 12:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Some options

I find safe boot annoying so I would recommend these two steps *before* #2 (take ownership):

1b) try renaming from command prompt:
* open a console window ( Start | All Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt )
* cd to the parent folder of the folder you want to rename
* use move to rename the folder

1c) try using Unlocker (see post http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6142_102-5106947.html)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?