Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Win XP Driver help

by smelin5 / May 15, 2010 8:46 AM PDT

Today I reformatted my C: drive and installed Windows XP (to replace Vista). I had to disable "SATA HDD" in BIOS in order to do this without errors. After a few reboots, I was finally at my new XP desktop. I'm sure this is a common problem, but practically every driver imaginable was missing. I've tried for several hours to hunt down any drivers that will get my audio, video, network, usb ports, and whatever else working again. Because XP is outdated, I can't find even one working driver download.

I'm on a Compaq Presario C714nr Notebook and neither the HP nor Intel websites can help whatsoever. If nothing else, I need to get my USB ports working again so I can at least replace my new, empty C: drive with the full one on my external HD (which probably contains all of the other drivers).

I've been at this for 5 hours now and am going insane. Please help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win XP Driver help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win XP Driver help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry to say you're going nowhere until you install the
by Steven Haninger / May 15, 2010 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Win XP Driver help

chipset drivers and these, if they exist for XP, will come from the manufacturer. Sometimes one can get lucky if it's an Intel chipset you can scratch around on their web site and maybe come up them. But, without the chipset drivers, you're not going to get much else to work.

Collapse -
Almost there
by smelin5 / May 15, 2010 12:16 PM PDT

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! After a few more hours of work, I've been able to solve quite a few problems. As you suggested, I downloaded the chipset installer, in my case Intel 965. I then found working audio and network drivers. With internet access, I was able to install Service Pack 2 which made a HUGE difference in the OS. I still can't use USB, which is a big deal since I can't access my external HD, but I'm downloading Service Pack 3 now. Hopefully that will solve the issue.

Collapse -
[Solved]
by smelin5 / May 15, 2010 2:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Almost there

After much experimentation, I learned that my USB ports work perfectly well if I have my devices plugged in during a reboot. They do not work if not plugged in during reboot, though.

Using Vista, I always just shut the lid of my laptop to sleep the CPU, so I could easily return to work, but that option does not exist in XP. I suppose if I can get in the habit of turning it off all the time, the proper devices will be intact when I turn it back on. If there is an alternate solution, please let me know! Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Hibernate does exist in XP
by Steven Haninger / May 15, 2010 7:22 PM PDT
In reply to: [Solved]

Your original post wasn't clear whether this was a desktop PC or laptop but the hibernate and sleep functions are available only if advanced power management features are available and this means another driver to search for. Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?