Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Win XP DHCP and a win 98 machine

by calcajun / July 31, 2007 5:33 AM PDT

My home machines are XP with DHCP enabled. No prob with my machine connecting.
Tried to put my neighbors win 98 machine on and no go.It does not see a windows network at all. It is set to obtain an IP automatically. Set as part of my workgroup. All the other tabs such as default gateway, wins ect is left blank. Is it diff for 98? do i need to do a gateway? Any help would be great.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win XP DHCP and a win 98 machine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win XP DHCP and a win 98 machine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How are these connected?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 31, 2007 6:31 AM PDT

Did you use the XP Networking wizard in My Network Places?

Collapse -
XP network can't connect with 98 machine
by calcajun / July 31, 2007 7:18 AM PDT

No i did not.
My XP network and machines connect fine. It is the 98 machine that won't. Actually the message i get from the 98 machine when i click on entire windows network is "can't browse network" .

Collapse -
The Network Wizard
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 31, 2007 7:55 AM PDT

should do all the work for you. It will offer the option of copying the setup files to a floppy disk so you can use that in the 98 machine.

Collapse -
Network setup disk
by calcajun / July 31, 2007 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: The Network Wizard

It went through all the motions and i still can't see the network from the win 98 machine

Collapse -
Who's handling the IP addresses?
by Steven Haninger / July 31, 2007 11:02 AM PDT

Is it a router? As well, do you have anything shared on the Win '98 machine? What version of XP? Home or Pro? How do you log onto XP. If with a username/password, all machines will have to use the same or need to log in as a valid user when accessing another machine. Another thing you could try is to ping the XP machines from the '98 box. To get the IP address on the XP machines, go to the command prompt and type "ipconfig" (without quotes). I believe win 98 uses something like "winipconfig" but I forget stuff like this. This should tell you if an IP address has been assigned and what it is. You should get the subnet and gateway info too. See what you can find out and post back.

Collapse -
win 98 not seen on network
by calcajun / July 31, 2007 12:09 PM PDT

Yeah, told it to create the setup disk. Put it in the 98 machine and it went through it's paces. In the tcp ip configs it didn't change anything i had done. Only thing selected was get ip automatically. Thats already how i had the win 98 machine set.

Using a hub. I know the hub and network is ok cause my machines talk to each other just fine. The win 98 machine nic card lights when i connect it to the hub and the hub is lit and good to go. The win 98 machine still says it can't browse the network

Collapse -
Try this and forget the setup disk
by Steven Haninger / August 1, 2007 12:25 AM PDT

Set up static IP addresses just to see if the Win 98 machine is seen. If so, the problem might be related to using DHCP you need to figure out what address, if any, was given the '98 machine. Hubs don't give out IP addresses. I gave up on DHCP long ago on a home network. Yes, it's a no brainer when it works. Static addresses get devices on quickly. DHCP is probably better if you have transient PCs....such as that of friends....who come over and occasionally use you network.

Collapse -
by calcajun / August 1, 2007 1:07 AM PDT

Thats just it. It is all setup and DHCP works for all my machines. It is a friends win 98 machine that won't see the network.
Will go the static route and see if that works out.

Collapse -
Some additional help from this sites
by Steven Haninger / August 2, 2007 10:23 AM PDT
In reply to: DHCP

Make sure the Win '98 machine uses login process. The network settings, as I recall, should have a number of being Windows Login. Don't use that one. It should be something like Microsoft Networks. Pay attention to the "browser master" reference. I think this might have mostly to do with dialup, however. I gave up using the networking disk that XP would make. It can all be done manually and you learn more by doing it this way. As a volunteer I set up mixed XP Pro and Win '98 PCs on a school peer to peer network. I'm not an IT guy but a home user. I was able to get it working just fine...most of it anyway. They are all XP Pro machines now. My life is easier by far. Good luck again.
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?