Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Win XP deleted files in 200GB HD - Help

by Wong_d1991 / March 3, 2005 9:21 PM PST

I did a clean install of Win XP Pro with SP2 in a PC with Intel's D845WN board and a 200G HD (one partition only). Installed Intel's chip set drivers after the OS.
After using for some days and transfering data from other HDs (some 140GB), the PC when crazy and just restarted but stoped right before booting. Started the PC with Win XP CD and Recovery Console, but did not ask for the admin PW and to my surprise chkdsk showed an empty disk. Is there a way to recover the lost data? Thks

DW

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win XP deleted files in 200GB HD - Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win XP deleted files in 200GB HD - Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Started the PC with Win XP CD " = No data?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2005 9:44 PM PST

The stock "Win XP CD" should NEVER be used to access an over 127GB volume or drive. Without SP1 slipstreamed in, you can't repair such an install.

Bob

Collapse -
Used Win XP SP2
by Wong_d1991 / March 3, 2005 10:10 PM PST

I used a retail Win XP SP1 that was "rebuilt" with SP2.

The CD installs Win XP with SP2.

Can I recover the data?

Thks

Collapse -
To see if the data is still there, use your KNOPPIX CD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2005 10:12 PM PST
In reply to: Used Win XP SP2

It can read such a volume if its still in good shape. If not you get to start over.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry, I am a newbie
by Wong_d1991 / March 3, 2005 10:18 PM PST

Can you help me with what is a KNOPPIX CD?

Thks

Collapse -
newbie ?
by Papa Echo / March 3, 2005 10:44 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry, I am a newbie

Now is the time to learn to fish.

1st lesson: Use Google to search for "KNOPPIX CD" or search this very forum. (without the quotes). Google is Here.

Good Luck !

Collapse -
Yup. Fishing lessons.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2005 10:46 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry, I am a newbie
Collapse -
Need Help
by Wong_d1991 / March 5, 2005 9:47 AM PST
In reply to: Yup. Fishing lessons.

Well, thks for the help so far. Used Knoppix 3.7(got the CD), but when I looked at the disk, it could only find some 800Mb in the HD (it had more than 140GB). Win XP says it writes some hidden files in the HD with data on the directory, anybody know how to find them? I think that the system wrote some files in the primary diretory and boot area of the disk, is there a backup that the system keeps somewhere? At least Ms clains that NTFS is safer to recover data.
Thks

Collapse -
The issue appears with over 137GB drives.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2005 11:47 AM PST
In reply to: Need Help

And the story never seems to end about "backup".

Bob

Collapse -
Creating iso images cd
by Native_Texan / March 4, 2005 1:46 AM PST

I want to learn how to burn iso cd.. want to make knoppix cd. in reading about the 2 versions of xp iso recorder power toy it says beta 2 for xp 2. pre xp 2 then use first version

I have xp 1 machine, that later had online xp 2 update.
so then which xp iso recorder power toy version should one use.. 1 or 2??
thanks

Collapse -
ISO easy. Use this program. (free)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2005 4:31 AM PST
In reply to: Creating iso images cd
Collapse -
I recommend this Software for Data Recovery.
by rogerthai / March 4, 2005 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: Used Win XP SP2

This link to Kill Disk Hard Drive Erasers and Recovery Software I find to be the best on the market. This software can be installed on a bootable floppy or bootable CD. The choice is yours. This Software was created by Lsoft Softwares.
http://www.killdisk.com/products.htm

Hope this helps!

Collapse -
Lost Data
by rattlinbones / March 5, 2005 10:24 AM PST

Do a search on Google for Get Data Back XP

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.