Computer Help forum

General discussion

Win Media Player took over my computer

by flingwing / September 5, 2009 6:44 PM PDT

From its recent beginning, my computer (MS XP Pro) had Microsoft Media Player and Realtek (GbE & FE Ethernet PCI-E NIC) driver installed. Both coexisted well. I downloaded music and Realtek opened. If I tried to play a film clip or something similar, MS Media Player opened.

Several days ago I downloaded a freeware program, ?Freez Screen Video Capture?. It works okay and uses MS Media Player for playback video/audio. However, now, when I double click on an MP3 music file, it automatically opens in MS Media Player.

Worse, if I try opening an MP3 with a right mouse click and using ?open with?, Realtek is not listed. When I click ?Browse? to find another player, I see that the Realtek file folder remains listed under "Programs" but the folder is empty.

How can I revert back to the original settings where music was played with Realtek? Would deleting (uninstalling) the Freeze Screen Video Capture program help? Or should I revert back to a ?Restore Point? in Win XP to a time before I downloaded that screen capture program? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win Media Player took over my computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win Media Player took over my computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: realtek
by Kees Bakker / September 5, 2009 6:59 PM PDT

It's very atypical for an Ethernet driver to play music, I'd say.

And it's rather atypical for a screen capture program to play anything, be it video (but it should capture it) or audio.

And it's very atypical for an install of a program to delete another program. So while the file association for .mp3 might have changed without telling you (they shouldn't have done that), my guess is the program still is somewhere on your hard disk.

Things to try:
- System restore. You'll lose freeze also. Not sure to work, but worth a try.
- Reinstall the program you like to use (that from realtek).
- Install any other mp3-playing program if you don't like WMP for that.

Kees

Collapse -
Additional Info
by flingwing / September 5, 2009 7:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: realtek

Kees, I am going to consider the options you mentioned and then choose one. Meanwhile, let me clarify what I wrote.

I meant that the .avi formatted files that Freez Screen Video Capture saves uses MS Media Player for playback. That is, I didn't have to select WMP, when I clicked the captured .avi file for playback. It started with WMP automatically. So I guess it is my computer that was set to use WMP for .avi files.

Now, as I said, when I click any MP3 music file, it, too, opens in WMP. Previously, they all opened in Realtek which was added when I bought my built-up computer. Files sound great with that program.

I copied and pasted the ethernet driver title for Realtek in my last post because the title is all that's left in that directory. I don't see any other files for Realtek other than "uninstall".

I will search for Realtek on my hard disk. But I still need to make it my default for MP3 and leave Win Media Player the default video player. Any way to do that? CU.

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / September 5, 2009 8:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Additional Info

Once you've found (and installed, if necessary) your favorite mp3-player, it's very easy to link it to your mp3's again.

Kees

Collapse -
Additional Info 2
by flingwing / September 5, 2009 8:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: realtek

Kees, I'm still at work on this. I just looked again at the Realtek folder. It has two sub-folders:
(1) Audio, and
(2)REALTEK GbE & FE Ethernet PCI-E NIC Driver

No. 2 is the one I mentioned earlier because when I opened No. (1) Audio - all I saw was another sub-folder entitled "InstallShield".

I figured InstallShield only helped with new downloads, but now I see that folder has more than 48 MB of files. So maybe those are all the Realtek files and it is only the Ethernet driver (as you mentioned)that is missing?

If so, perhaps I can find, download and reinstall my Realtek driver and that will solve the problem?

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / September 5, 2009 9:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Additional Info 2

The Ethernet driver is just a device driver for your Ethernet port. That is what use to connect to broadband (cable, ADSL) and a local network. Don't touch it!

The audio folder seems a totally unrelated bonus program, and audio\installshield certainly has to do with installing it. If you can't find out the details, and you don't like WMP 10 or 11, I'd go searching for another one.

- You might like the simplicity of http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/Media-Player-Classic-Review-12688.shtml for example. I even have the original Microsoft vers
- Or have a look at the CDex player that comes with free CDex (a program to rip CD's and convert .wav to .mp3 and such). So many programs play mp3's that you should be able to find one you like.
- The download link for the realtek program in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realtek_Media_Player doesn't work anymore, alas.
- But you might have the program on one of the CD's that came with the machine.
- The wikipedia link says the program is called rtlrack.exe. Did you search for that already?
- http://www.techspot.com/downloads/76-realtek-media-player-rtlrack.html says they have the program to download. That might be the best solution for you if it's really gone.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?