Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Win Me Flash Drive USB 2.0 Problem

by rrecroc / November 22, 2009 9:47 AM PST

Just bought Ativa 4GB USB 2.0 flash drive ......when I use Device Manager to load driver I get an error message "The NTKERNVXD device loaders could not load the device driver" ...... any suggestions on what to do ????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win Me Flash Drive USB 2.0 Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win Me Flash Drive USB 2.0 Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should be no driver required.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2009 10:57 AM PST

Something's amiss with this story. Windows ME and a good install means we would not install any other drivers.

Collapse -
Win Me Flash Drive USB 2.0 Problem
by otr_man / January 9, 2010 6:03 PM PST

This may be a DEVICE FAULT with the USB device.

Open the Device Manager -

A fault (if there is one) will be indicated by the presence of a question mark (?) or an exclamation mark (!) alongside the entry for each faulty device.

The reason there is a question mark or exclamation mark displayed is that Windows needs to update the driver, because you are currently using the WRONG driver file. You need to cure the problem by proceeding as follows:-

In Device Manager -

1. Click on the "+" sign next to 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers'.

2. Click on each entry under that heading (to highlight it), then delete the entry by clicking "Remove".

There will be several entries to delete. You will have to click on the "+" sign to re-open the section after deleting each one.

If there are any entries with a yellow exclamation mark (which indicates a fault) or a yellow question mark (which indicates an unrecognised device) against them, remove those entries also.

Then reboot. Windows will automatically re-install the correct drivers in the course of the reboot. If you are asked to point the install wizard to the location of the proper driver file, it is probably in one of these folders -

Alternatively, this type of fault can be caused by a conflict with a driver for a device that's not in use. Such drivers only show up in Safe Mode, which shows all installed drivers (only those for the devices currently attached to the system are shown while in normal mode).

So if the solution above doesn't cure the fault, reboot into SAFE mode (press F5 or F8 on startup). Then open the Device Manager again, and (using the same procedure as explained above) delete all "ghost" entries seen there, i.e. those entries that ONLY show up in Safe Mode.

My tip here is that if you find any USB "ghost" entries, delete ALL of the USB devices listed in Device Manager (even those which are not faulty), while in Safe Mode, to give Windows the best chance of doing a clean reinstall of the device.

Then shutdown the computer, and unplug all USB devices - this increases the chances of success. Then reboot again, into normal mode. Windows will automatically re-install the correct USB controller drivers in the course of the reboot.

Do NOT plug the problem USB device into the computer's USB port until Windows has finished loading, following this restart. Also, remember to switch ON that USB device's power AFTER connecting the USB cable to *both* the USB device and the computer.

If the above procedure fails to cure the problem, it is probably for the following reason -

Incompatible USB version:

Windows ME only has built-in support for USB 1.1. A USB device that is designed to work with *both* USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 will function, but only at USB 1.1 speeds.

But ONLY if it's designed to work with BOTH. Therefore check whether your USB device is designed to work with USB 1.1 (i.e. look on the box), because if the box says it is designed for USB 2.0 only then it won't work with WinME.

Yes, Windows ME *does* have built-in USB drivers. But they are USB 1.1 drivers! You can't run a USB 2.0 device on the built-in drivers.

The device must be *specifically* stated to be for USB 1.1 (whether or not it is also for USB 2.0) in order to work with WinME.

To use a USB 2.0 device in Win ME you have to buy an add-in USB 2.0 PCI expansion card, and it MUST be one that comes with a USB 2.0 driver file for WinME (a USB "mass storage driver").

It is prudent to buy a PCI card that (a) has an NEC chipset, as that chipset has the widest compatibility with older motherboards, and (b) that comes with a driver file for USB 2.0, and (c) says on the box that it is compatible with either Windows 98 or Windows ME.

Try the website of the Card's manufacturer, to download such a driver file to your Desktop. Then install the driver file, using its setup program (they almost always come with setup software included).

If the card manufacturer hasn't provided a driver, you can try the following sites for any available so-called "universal" drivers for USB 2.0 for Windows 98/ME:

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?