General discussion

Win Firewall interferes with Wireless Connection ?

HI folks,
I have XP pro on my laptop and a wireless connection to my Mac based TimeMachine. What I notice is that the connection is constantly dropping and reconnecting. The only way I can get a constant connection is to turn off my Win firewall. The Wireless connection is a WPA secure 13 character connection, so I don't think I'm in danger of a breech? Or am I if I go on the net? The TimeMachine is DHCP and is connected to a cable modem router...

My XP is a Compaq presario x1030 with Intel Centrino wireless chip. I have used a Buffalo Wireless G PCMIA card but it seemed to be having the same drops. I don't know if disabling the ZeroConfig in WIN helps or not, but I used to have better luck using Buffalo's software than the built in zero config. Now nothing seems to work well...

Suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Win Firewall interferes with Wireless Connection ?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Win Firewall interferes with Wireless Connection ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
There are other reasons for drops.

The channel (we can change), the hidden SSID drop, MAC filters and more. Your post is too light and much has been covered in the Networking forum. And nothing will correct coverage or distance issues or rather some think a driver or setting will correct such.

Again, too light on details.
Bob

- Collapse -
May have found the problem

Hi,
In desperation, I disabled win zeroConfig, enabled the Buffalo Client manager, stuck in my Buffalo G54 card and rebooted. Apparently, the wireless B that came with the Centrino is too slow a speed to remain connected to the Time Capsule Airport. I suspect that the G/N speed is the problem I may have used with my original setup. I don't know if it was downward compatible to B. BTW, the laptop was 6 feet from the Time Capsule, so it wasn't a distance problem
However, having had to repair my entire OS seemed to have stopped the failure problem I was having with the G54 card as well.
In other words, I had only stopped using the G54 card because the problems preceded the system crash I had...

- Collapse -
Mixing it up.

I've found most B gear to have reached end of life status in far too much gear.

Here's what I'm doing. If I find a cranky card and it is over 5 years old we know to remove that from service. Some owners detest such but that's the truth. Almost all consumer gear is a five year design. Trying to save an old card racks up too much of a bill at the shop so we had to implement this simple rule.
Bob

- Collapse -
I appreciate the feedback

Thanks Bob. The problem with the B card it is that it is the internal Centrino built in modem which I think NEVER worked well, esp. with ZeroConfig on. The plug in G54 is almost as old, but seems to work okay with the G band. So, I'm just using the button on the laptop to turn off the Centrino. Hopefully that will fix things for a while.

- Collapse -
A tip from the field.

I've removed those internal cards because they can cause other weird machine errors when they get cranky old. Just last month, another removal from a Compaq v2000 series. That machine is old but pulling the card helped it's boot speed and more.
Bob

- Collapse -
Turning off isn't enough?

Hi Bob,
if the modem card is off, it can still cause problems? So I've pulled the x1030 apart before to install an new HD and more ram... how hard is it to pull the modem card?
Jeff

- Collapse -
Yes.

This is just sharing a tip from the field. I'm sure there are those that would want some explaining from the maker but here we like to pull them out to remove the issue. It also let's the machine run just a little cooler since even with it off, it draws power.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info