Computer Help forum

General discussion

Win 98SE setup freezes at the Setup Wizard

by Relztrah / June 30, 2004 5:09 AM PDT

I need to clean the hard drive and reinstall Windows on my dad's computer so I used fdisk to delete and recreate the primary DOS partition, which I routinely do on an older machine, then reformatted HD.

I booted from a startup floppy and started Setup which ran Scandisk normally finding no errors and proceeded to the "Welcome to Windows 98 Setup" screen. So far so good.

However, when I got to the "Setup is preparing the Windows 98 Setup Wizard which will guide you through the rest of the setup processs" screen, I get a beep, a small black rectangle (maybe it's supposed to have some error message?) on the screen and I'm frozen. I tried a couple times and the same results.

I looked through the Microsoft Knowledge Base for an article that addresses this, but found nothing. This machine formerly had Win 98 running on it, albeit with lots of weird problems which is why I'm giving it a lobotomy. The only change I made was to install an internal Zip drive. I didn't change any BIOS settings.

I don't think it's a device conflict because Setup doesn't get that far. I only get to the Setup Wizard before I totally freeze up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win 98SE setup freezes at the Setup Wizard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win 98SE setup freezes at the Setup Wizard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Win 98SE setup freezes at the Setup Wizard
by Bob__B / June 30, 2004 6:00 AM PDT

albeit with lots of weird problems
--------------------------------

Since you seem to be able to boot from a floppy go here and load their mem test to a floppy and boot it.

www.simmtester.com

Run it for 8 hours,,no errors allowed.

Next the only devices needed for what your trying to do are a floppy unit, cd reader unit, one HD.

Unplug everything else.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What ''Windows media'' is being used?
by Cursorcowboy / June 30, 2004 8:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Win 98SE setup freezes at the Setup Wizard
by Relztrah / July 1, 2004 5:34 AM PDT

Well, you learn something new every day. After following the above advice, which I appreciate, in desperation I took another look at the CMOS settings. There's something in there called Load Fail-Safe Settings and I have no idea what it is. But I disabled it and voil

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!